What the best, safest way to do a PWC??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flyfishfan1966

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 180 cichlid tank. And several smaller tanks.
I have always siphoned water out, fill buckets or in the case of the 180, filled (4) 30 tubs, Prime all the water and then pump it back into the tank.

Someone recently told me (with respect) to forget the tubs, just refill tank with tap water and then Prime tank for 180 's worth of water.

Questions
Wouldn't the even short time of the fish contacting the tap water with whatever chlorine is in there be harmful??

Are there any other negative s to doing it this way??

Match the temperature within 2 degrees, add Prime to the tank for the whole tank's volume, set flow of tap kind of slow for filling gently and slow mixing. Prime works on the tap instantly. I've done this many, many times and fish always do well. In fact They seem to energize from the fresh water for awhile. Also, turn your filter off during filling if not already and start 15 min. after filling. OS.

Match the temperature within 2 degrees, add Prime to the tank for the whole tank's volume, set flow of tap kind of slow for filling gently and slow mixing. Prime works on the tap instantly. I've done this many, many times and fish always do well. In fact They seem to energize from the fresh water for awhile. Also, turn your filter off during filling if not already and start 15 min. after filling. OS.

+1, this is how I do it. I use a water hose connected to the washer hook-ups.

I do the same as well. My fish also seem to enjoy the refill process as well. Lots of activity.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yep, me too. I used buckets for ages but once I got a bigger tank, I was motivated to try a water changer. I still siphon out (to a large bin by the garden) but fill from the sink. I add Prime for the whole volume squirted right before turning the water changer over to fill with temperature matched water. The fish go nuts during the fill but not in a bad way. I sat and watched the craziness closely this last time and observed fervent advances by the threadfin rainbow male toward the females during the entire process. Apparently, fresh water gets him very interested in spawning! The khuli loaches come out and swim laps. It seems to be great fun for all! And even the sensitive fish haven't been harmed.

I always call that "dancing in the rain", tnfin, when I see my fish go crazy from the WC. OS.

I like that! Someone told me that if I add cooler water to more closely approximate rain, my corydoras will spawn. I haven't tried it. I use a digital kitchen thermometer to get the temp right at the tap and then switch to fill.

Yeah, feed them up well with some good food(frozen and dry) then put in new water 4 degrees cooler. My False Julies have started spawning several times after doing this. I don't try and raise the eggs just fun to watch. But F. Julies are one of the more "amorous" species. LOL OS.

Back
Top Bottom