What the heck???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Scraps said:
Sorry Homedog ignore my comment.

Hey, it's not a bad idea and normally you could very well be right about food being in the gravel causing problems. Just IMO, I'd wait a bit until the #'s stabilize a little. Decaying food in the gravel can definitely cause ammonia problems and poor water quality.

Scraps said:
I would try vaccuming the water out of the bottom, may have a build up of food on the bottom plus taking it just from the top is just taking the water coming from the filter. You can pick up one from a pet shop pretty cheap.

It's ok, I don't have a gravel vacuum yet anyway. And I would have tested, but I thought of it kind of like this: I knew I was cycling with fish and how sad I'd be if I'd lost them, I know i have hi nitrites and nitrates, and I knew how to get them down, and unless something else had happened, I used my somewhat experienced fish common sense and decided a large PWC was necessary, since I know my fish and they were not acting right.

Homedog98 said:
It's ok, I don't have a gravel vacuum yet anyway. And I would have tested, but I thought of it kind of like this: I knew I was cycling with fish and how sad I'd be if I'd lost them, I know i have hi nitrites and nitrates, and I knew how to get them down, and unless something else had happened, I used my somewhat experienced fish common sense and decided a large PWC was necessary, since I know my fish and they were not acting right.

That is also true! Agree with you that knowing your fish, it's important to act on time!

Ok, tonight, did yet another test.
Ammonia: .25
Nitrite: 5
Nitrate: somewhere between 40 and 80
Ph: 6.6
I'm a bit curious about the ammonia... My guess was everything was still recovering a bit from the giant water change yesterday, but I went ahead and did another 50% (this time with a friends help) and adding a normal dose of prime. And I know PH doesn't really affect which fish you can put in a tank, but do they tend to adjust better to soft water like mine, or hard water? I'm not planning to add any Ph adjusters, cuz I know those are unpredictable.

Just realized one last thing I forgot... And I bet it's why I had that ammonia. Since my temp was almost at 82, which I decided was too high for my liking, I turned my heater off for about 6 hours. When I came back to check after school, I had a temp of 68. Wouldn't that slow down the bacteria? Should I raise the temp some more?

Homedog98 said:
Just realized one last thing I forgot... And I bet it's why I had that ammonia. Since my temp was almost at 82, which I decided was too high for my liking, I turned my heater off for about 6 hours. When I came back to check after school, I had a temp of 68. Wouldn't that slow down the bacteria? Should I raise the temp some more?

I kept mine around 84 during my fishless cycle, but I'd figure out what is the highest your fish can tolerate and keep it there. I don't think that period of time would have killed much if any bacteria. Higher temps definitely help your cycle, but you dont wanna cook your fish!

Ya, I wasn't thinking killed so much as just slowed down. But now my temp is back to normal again, so I'll just leave it there.

Homedog98 said:
Ya, I wasn't thinking killed so much as just slowed down. But now my temp is back to normal again, so I'll just leave it there.

The first day I got my Python I completely forgot to adjust the temperature to match. Luckily I didn't have fish in there. It didn't slow my cycle though, I finished it in exactly 20 days.

I know that you are getting a lot of advice to do water changes. If you do pwc at 50% you are constantly removing beneficial bacteria needed for cycling. I would not do greater than 20% and definitely not everyday. You have to let the bacteria divide and conquer for the cycle to complete. Your numbers will come down. Keep testing, someone earlier said some fish are heartier than other and this is true. As starter fish I used 3 danios and three red miner tetras these were added towards the end of the cycle and will help your tank mature all the faster. Even if you do lose your fish the tank will have cycled. I know it kind of sucks but to do water changes everyday and at such large volumes set you back every time you do one. Hope this helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

I just want to clarify that only a negligible amount of beneficial bacteria is in the water column, so water changes do not harm your cycle. If your readings indicate that you need to do a PWC, do it.

Last edited:
The bacteria needed for cycling are throughout the entire tank, as are the elements they are feeding on. Of course, if you are comfortable with a pwc then do it. It will just take your tank longer to cycle.

Amicus said:
The bacteria needed for cycling are throughout the entire tank, as are the elements they are feeding on. Of course, if you are comfortable with a pwc then do it. It will just take your tank longer to cycle. Not a big fan of additives either, it is better to find the source and fix it that way. Although it could be something like your local water treatment plant adding extra ammonia to treat a problem their having. Could be anything, patience is key.

I disagree. The beneficial bacteria lives on the surfaces of the tank (the tank walls, substrate, filter media, etc.); Negligible amounts are found in the water column, certainly not enough to make a difference while cycling. Sure you're removing ammonia (that's the point). They don't need an ammonia reading to survive when there are already fish in the tank, the fish produce enough. I am not the only one who will tell you this. Ask the community mentors.

Back
Top Bottom