What the heck is this....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just noticed a white colored film on top of the water in my 55 gallon. Water tests fine and is clear..What is it?????

You have a protein layer. Your not getting enough water movement at the surface of your tank. Do you have a HOB filter or canister?

Try aiming the outflow more towards the surface to move the water. Some people use paper towels or the black and white section of the newspaper, lay them on the water surface and let them soak up the scum, then carefully remove them. I never had any luck doing that tho.

was just thinking about that. did have a bubble wand until a month ago. took it out so no bubble wand anymore..

I had the same problem when my tank first started out. This is how a lot of companies will use this to remove oils and grease from water. The bubbling of the water via wand will help remove this after some time.

thanks for the info. aimed the out flow and my powerhead more toward the surface and the film cleared up in 24 hours..

Is a protein layer in the surface a bad thing.... I run co2 and don't like surface agitation but I run a canister and a hob filter. I thought mine might have just been from my ferts or something.

Even running CO2, you still should use a bubble when lights are not on as plants will use O2 at that point.

Back
Top Bottom