What to add?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megi-lin

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone,

I have 3 female fancy guppies in my 20 gal currently. It holds about 18 gals. I have the guppies and 5 cories. I am thinking about adding 3 males and 2 more female. Is that a good ratio? 3M:5F? I don't think my tank will be overstocked. I do regularly weekly PWC and thorough gravel vacs. Also, I have a 1 mo old in the females, when can I add males?

.1488403569612.jpg

Probably a dozen guppy would be ok. But looks like you want to breed so keep that in mind. Not be mean but your tank doesn't have much hardscape or plants (fake/real) cories would like a little more cover. Id maybe work on the layout first but thats me.

Probably a dozen guppy would be ok. But looks like you want to breed so keep that in mind. Not be mean but your tank doesn't have much hardscape or plants (fake/real) cories would like a little more cover. Id maybe work on the layout first but thats me.
What does hardscape mean? What other kinds of plants (preferably fake) can I add! My cories like to huddle in the corner. They go nuts over bloodworms. But I have less waste now that I feed my fish that. Once I get my gravel really really clean, can I add small grass like plants that don't really grow past a certain point? I have always wanted a planted tank. But I don't know if I can take care of all the trimming and such. I have some bills to pay then I want to get some testing equipment. I bet liquid would be cheaper in the long run. But I find test strips to be accurate side by side (well I think tetra is what I bought before.) So I don't know my tank parameters, I just know that weekly pwc, gravel vac, and same water spigot for changes keeps everything stable for my tank. But I can't tell you what my parameters are for plants. I've been afraid to do live plants for a long time. I'm afraid I can't keep them alive and I don't know how to vacuum it and all. Any help would be great! I didn't think your comment was mean at all. I just tried to keep my tank looking simple and pretty.

What does hardscape mean? What other kinds of plants (preferably fake) can I add! My cories like to huddle in the corner. They go nuts over bloodworms. But I have less waste now that I feed my fish that. Once I get my gravel really really clean, can I add small grass like plants that don't really grow past a certain point? I have always wanted a planted tank. But I don't know if I can take care of all the trimming and such. I have some bills to pay then I want to get some testing equipment. I bet liquid would be cheaper in the long run. But I find test strips to be accurate side by side (well I think tetra is what I bought before.) So I don't know my tank parameters, I just know that weekly pwc, gravel vac, and same water spigot for changes keeps everything stable for my tank. But I can't tell you what my parameters are for plants. I've been afraid to do live plants for a long time. I'm afraid I can't keep them alive and I don't know how to vacuum it and all. Any help would be great! I didn't think your comment was mean at all. I just tried to keep my tank looking simple and pretty.
Also, I don't really want to breed unless I can sell to the LFS. So, I am thinking now maybe all females. But I love fancy males.

You mentioned male and female so I assumed. Cories like most fish will be healthier and less stressed in larger groups. 6 plus for cories as they can shoal.

Hardscape is typically considered wood and rock. Adding these will make fish feel more at home. Id get all males but thats me. Either way works.

Buy a couple easy plants at a time and ease into it as you learn. You can do it.

You mentioned male and female so I assumed. Cories like most fish will be healthier and less stressed in larger groups. 6 plus for cories as they can shoal.

Hardscape is typically considered wood and rock. Adding these will make fish feel more at home. Id get all males but thats me. Either way works.

Buy a couple easy plants at a time and ease into it as you learn. You can do it.
I love males and would love to have them. But I want to keep breeding to a minimum. I'll ask in the planted tank forum for some help. Thank you! Is the gravel I have, okay?

Sand always preferred for cories. But as long as its not rough youll be ok. Check out anubias cyrpts java fern java moss dwarf lilly wisteria. They keep ya busy.

Sand always preferred for cories. But as long as its not rough youll be ok. Check out anubias cyrpts java fern java moss dwarf lilly wisteria. They keep ya busy.
I had sand for about a year and a half. Then I cleaned house and did gravel so I can vacuum. The cories seem to be fine with it.

It means its good easy to grow plant that no one should be able to kill lol

Take your females back and get males. It's possible (likely even) your females are already pregnant.
My one was pregnant and had one baby. I've had them a while. I have fallen in love with them. I don't think I could return these beauties. They've been good with not getting sick. Fingers crossed that they don't get sick now that I said that.

Back
Top Bottom