What to add with my dwarf puffer..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prgmitchell

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a little dwarf puffer...probably the coolest fish I've ever had.

It's face is so cool and it always comes to the glass when I'm close by to see what I'm doing and it goes to the bottom and swims into my airstone and lets the bubbles push him to the top and keeps doing it...anyways.

I heard they don't get along with many fish...I was thinking about getting a school of neon tetras to try out...safe or no? Any other suggestions?

They are extremely territorial more than likely they would kill anything else you put in there I would suggest maybe some bottom dwellers I've had luck with otos or just another dwarf puffer. My two play together. But they should be in a species only tank ideally.

They are extremely territorial more than likely they would kill anything else you put in there I would suggest maybe some bottom dwellers I've had luck with otos or just another dwarf puffer. My two play together. But they should be in a species only tank ideally.

That's what I figured :/

I guess I'll just get 1 more so I'll have 2 in my 10 gallon and possibly try out 1-2 neon tetras to see if they can coexist because I've read SOME success stories.

That's what I figured :/

I guess I'll just get 1 more so I'll have 2 in my 10 gallon and possibly try out 1-2 neon tetras to see if they can coexist because I've read SOME success stories.

Personally I wouldn't put neons in a 10; they're very active fish and need more swimming room. Plus it'll be a bit cramped for space and will probably end badly for the neons.

Don't get attached to any of the DP's tankmates. Success from most sources are usually short-term. Very rarely do I ever hear about long-term success (I can't remember the last time I heard of long-term success).

Well I've got a friend who has 2 dwarf puffers, with some fully grown neons, a trio of rainbow fish and some widow tetras, all in a 20gal. When I seen the tank they all were swimming happily. He's had that set-up for 6-7months (but he recently added the rainbows). So from what I saw they can live with others... But I myself have had no experience DP's, I have with GSP's, but that's it. You could try and add some tank mates but it's a risk from my point of view. P.s. (crabs & snails aren't good tank mates, but they are good food)

I thought i could be one of the rare reports of success mixing DP's with tetras.. Bad idea! I had the DP's in a 10g with Von Rio Tetras. The puffers wouldn't stop fin nipping the tetras and they were unrelentless. I had to transfer the tetras asap to my other tank. They practically had no fins left (they've recovered since). Only fish I've seen the DP's leave alone are Otos and FW Bumblebee Gobies.

Back
Top Bottom