Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-21-2017, 05:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What to Breed?

So I知 working on this tank wall rack thingy, and I知 going to have 4 20 longs across the top. I知 having trouble figuring out what to put in them. Prob go with apistos in one for sure. But I知 wondering what could I breed in these small tanks with 1 pair in each tank. And not guppy...have a ton elsewhere. Lol. I have some convicts elsewhere also so may thin down on them and put 1 pair in another 20L. Also leaning towards small cichlids, maybe GBR...idk. But I値l have 2 20L left to put stuff in so any ideas? Also I壇 rather not pull eggs out, so stuff that will hatch there own eggs where I can pull fry as they grow would be a plusClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0070.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	304476

Old 10-21-2017, 05:47 AM   #2

Also the 75 in the bottom as grow out, and 2 40 breeders on bottom, one of which will be empty if I get rid of convicts and only keep a pair on top

Old 10-21-2017, 08:24 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Rams are an admirable choice ,challenge....
IMO they are not real easy and I puill all eggs that I would like to raise.You may have luck pulling fry ,but wait to you see the defense of the parents kick in...They will either fight like the devil with the syphon tube , net or eat them the day before you wanted to pull them[how do they know?]..
I artificially hatch all of mine which I completely attribute to my 'success' with them.
If you want good healthy, strong stock I know where to find them in GBR or EBR variations....
IMO only the most dedicated will have success raising them ,anyone can get them to breed as 99% of my customers report back on spawns usually in the first week or so.....But I have not heard from one telling me about how many they have sold or traded...
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:22 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Probably a good idea to re-home the Convicts. No profit potential. It's difficult to give them away. I know from experience.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:38 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Breed some Boesemani Rainbows. They sell really well and are very popular in the hobby.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:23 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Breed some Boesemani Rainbows. They sell really well and are very popular in the hobby.
I'd buy some, that's a great idea.

And Coralbandits gbr &ebr are awesome, saw them on aquabid & his threads. Been lurking there, his other fish on there are great too. Want to order from him when I finish redoing my 75g.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'd try some panda loaches, I love a challenge. And they are kinda rare.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by V227 View Post
Probably a good idea to re-home the Convicts. No profit potential. It's difficult to give them away. I know from experience.

Yea I didn稚 think so. I just wanted to raise some once just to do it. And prob keep a couple in a community tank later. Well I say that now anyways, there my first cichlids...so I値l prob find some I like much better but I enjoy there personalities right now. Maybe jewel cichlids? Haven稚 looked into them enough but there good lookin fish
Old 10-22-2017, 01:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post

I致e never seen any rainbows at all at my 2 徒inda local fish stores. No apistos, convicts, rams, jewels, ....none of the stuff I find on YouTube. I did get some clown plecos, maybe they池e a pair when grown. Would the boesemanis not be to big for a 20L? Anything I do get I plan on getting online
Old 10-22-2017, 01:07 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd keep them in something larger if you need to grow them out. But a 20g long would be more than sufficient for breeding.

Praecox rainbows would be a hood choice as well.

Tags
breed

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com