What to buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the hood? or is it some kind of laser set-up? I've seen stuff like that too, it would be cool if they had one that was like moonlight. No way I'm switching bulbs every day, so it would have to be something extra like that. Mentallylost?

The lights that I used are just blue LED's in the hood area. Click on my www and look at the 80 gallon tank. One of the pics is of the tank with the moonlights on. I don't turn them off either. When the regular canopy lights are on, you can't see the moonlights. But when you turn the regular lights off... it's beautiful. And no more reflection in the tv.
You don't have to paint the tank either. It's just cheaper than other methods. I have black foil on mine. The foil or paint go on the outside of the tank.

Why all the talk about changing the substrate for plants? I don't believe that you have to change your gravel in order to grow plants. There is definitely no need to get an eco-complete system to grow plants. I think the hardest decision you would have to make is to decide which plants to get. The easiest solution to that is to get the real variety of the plastic plants you have now. It will make the tank look just that much better.

I read the stickies in the planted fish forum and the experts there say you do.

When I was talking about planting my tank, noone in the planted forum said taht I needed to change my substrate. Even advisors said there was no need. That was my biggest concern because I have light gravel.

I guess they should take down the "Read this is you are thinking about a planted tank" sticky then if its wrong.

*Note: Not meant to be sarcastic, I meant that a lot of users (myself included) read that thread when they first think about making a planted aquarium. Its lists a lot of requirements for a successful planted aquarium that make it look like a lot of work and money. If that information is incorrect, it should be taken down so that people (myself again included) are not turned away from a planted tank. I assure you no disrespect was meant by this post FF.

I see that as someones opinion not a rule.
I grew plants in regular aquarium gravel with great success for years.

Anyway,

Go with the moonlights they are awesome and look great!!
I have them on my 180gal oscar tank and love them.

I grow my plants in regular gravel also but they will and trust me, are more work to keep them in place. I love live plants and have dealt with my fish pulling them out and having to replant them 2-3 times a week. One tank has botia loaches and african dwarf frogs and the plants need to be replanted almost daily. Even in the tank that doesn't have anything but swords, tertras and 3 cory cats seems to have be replanted twice a week. I keep the plants because I don't mind the extra work keeping them in place.

As for decorations and caves, go to the DIY section. There is a lot of ways to make fancy decorations. On has pictures of really nice caves he makes from a PVC pipe fitting. I haven't made one yet but I will be in the future. There is also one I put in there with the same concept but using plastic canvas for the rocks so you can shape the cave any way you want to. Lots of options.

As for starting a planted tank, make sure you get all the advice you can before getting started. I didn't and with what I actually want to create, I have to switch to Eco-Complete or similar substrate. If all you want is a couple plants in the tank then gravel should work if you use the fine stuff and no epoxy coating, it kills my roots before they ever get into the gravel enough to take hold.

Post a discussion that tells exactly what you want to do, that way you will know if it is more than what you want jump into or not. I want a tank that has a plant carpet over the entire bottom of the tank and a plant wall that covers the back of the tank. Can it be done, absolutely, but it will take a lot of work to get it there and will require my using something other than gravel as my substrate, or at least that is what I have been told on here.

oscarbreeder said:
Go with the moonlights they are awesome and look great!!
I have them on my 180gal oscar tank and love them.

Can someone link me to these for sale somewhere? Thanks a lot for all the help bros!

I found the laser light kits I think you guys are talking about and honestly it seems like too many extra wires. You are supposed to run wires to each light from outside the tank, down the back, and then under the gravel. That means ever time I gravel vac, or my clams dig through that area, I will have to fix the wires, right? I just don't want to add more clutter, why couldn't they have made them to run off watch batteries like a laser pointer? Then I would get them in a minute.

BTW, if someone knows of some like that, please post! :D

You were talking about doing a moonlight in the tank. I bought a small LED light for about $20 and it looks like the actual moon. The entire tank isn't brightened by it, just a portion of it. I think that adds to the reality of it. The sand looks really cool and when the fish swim under it, it makes a really cool shadow. We plan to buy 3 more to light the entire tank, but right now it is pretty cool with just the one. Here's a link to the same one that we bought: http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=29535;category_id=1869;pcid1=1843;pcid2=
It's cheaper than buying the whole lighting unit. You won't get the same effect, but it still looks really cool.

Fishyfanatic said:
You were talking about doing a moonlight in the tank. I bought a small LED light for about $20 and it looks like the actual moon. The entire tank isn't brightened by it, just a portion of it. I think that adds to the reality of it. The sand looks really cool and when the fish swim under it, it makes a really cool shadow. We plan to buy 3 more to light the entire tank, but right now it is pretty cool with just the one. Here's a link to the same one that we bought: http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=29535;category_id=1869;pcid1=1843;pcid2=
It's cheaper than buying the whole lighting unit. You won't get the same effect, but it still looks really cool.

That looks really cool. How does it attach to the tank? Any wires?

There is just 1 wire. This could be hidden though with a backing. And there are a couple places that sell backings that you attach to the tank with water. It basically slides on and you can peel it off. No water will ever get between it and the glass. Just a thought. You can attach the light with screws but what we did was set it under our strip light. It's small but puts off quite a bit of light. I mean, it's not really really bright. but then again, we have it on a 150 gal tank. I'll try to take some pics of it next weekend. I'm not home again until Thursday.

mentallylost said:
Sorry I've been out. These are the lights.
http://stores.ebay.com/LED-Werx_W0QQssPageNameZl4QQtZkm
This is my site. Click on the 80 gallon tank and you can see the moonlights in action.
http://photobucket.com/albums/y195/mentallylost/

Wow, that is an awesome effect and I would get one in a minute. However, there would be no where to put it on my hood, I have the standard plastic All-Glass Aquarium hood that covers the entire top of the tank. Too bad though, cool effect.

There has got to be somewhere you can add the moon lights. I know how I would do it but you would have to get a different top. My lfs has all glass tops that hinge and have a platic back to cut out areas for your hob and other items. If I had one of those tops, I would put the lights in the small corners of the light fixture and wire them in. That way more light gets to the tank and the moon lights can be part of the fixture. It would take a little work but I think it would work. I have a piece of plexiglass over one of my tanks and the lighting is much brighter. I just cut the back piece of black plastic off the original hood and covered the rest with the plexiglass. Just a thought but it should work.

Back
Top Bottom