What to buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I want to get something to upgrade my 55g tank. I am happy with the filter and UV, but I was thinking lighting. Its unplanted though, so that might be a waste. Anything else I could do?

new rock, wood or something like that>

I personally would go for a light. It can only make your inhabitants look nicer

My decor is all set. What do you reccomend re: lighting? I have two 18" Floresent bulbs. A link would be awesome.

I have recently asked a similar question regarding lighting and I would be interested in finding out more myself....

Check my other thread "Is it worth it to upgrade lighting", I got some good advice there.

Ok, I got the lights and 6 Gold Clams on order, but I'm really out of improvements I can make to my tank :(

I thought about it, but its not my style, too much work and I am too anal to deal with leaves falling off or going brown. Most planted tanks I see look a little ragged in my opinion.

A good planted tank looks beautiful. The plants look way better than plastic. Sure there will be leaves falling, but it gives it a natural look. Isn't that what you are going for in your tank decor wise?

how about a CO2 system and some lights? get started with the plants.. upkeep isnt suppose to be that bad with CO2 and moderate light... High light is were the work comes in.. :D

You are complaing that you have nothing to improve your tank and yet it isn't planted? :D
You have got every piece of equipment except a CO2 system! I say have a go at planted tank!

Ok, I'll start researching. I use gravel for a substrate though, would I need to toss that all out and get plant substrate?

Planted tanks might be a new decor step for your tank but it sounds like you really don't like the idea. Hvae you thought about a bubble slide, maybe a cave system or just making a maze for the fish to swim through? Lots of ideas to try before diving into planted tanks. Plants are an option but they will take a long time to give you the "look" you might be after. Do a lot of research because my plants are growing like weeds but they still don't give the effect I hoped to see. I wanted a wall of plants along the back of my tank and in order to get it I will have to get rid of my gravel and get some Eco-Complete or similar substrate in order to get them to grow the way I want them to.

Just make sure that plants are REALLY the move you want to make and then decide what is you want to do with the plants. It will save a lot of headaches later and will allow you to get set up to create the look you want and not have to make major changes later.

fish_4_all said:
Planted tanks might be a new decor step for your tank but it sounds like you really don't like the idea. Hvae you thought about a bubble slide, maybe a cave system or just making a maze for the fish to swim through? Lots of ideas to try before diving into planted tanks. Plants are an option but they will take a long time to give you the "look" you might be after. Do a lot of research because my plants are growing like weeds but they still don't give the effect I hoped to see. I wanted a wall of plants along the back of my tank and in order to get it I will have to get rid of my gravel and get some Eco-Complete or similar substrate in order to get them to grow the way I want them to.

Just make sure that plants are REALLY the move you want to make and then decide what is you want to do with the plants. It will save a lot of headaches later and will allow you to get set up to create the look you want and not have to make major changes later.

See, this is how I felt before, and I'm glad someone agrees. It seems like plants are a huge amount of work for a less than perfect look.

Any links to decor to create a cave system or other unique decor looks? Here is what my tank looks like right now:

hmm. yes. you should go for a planted tank. personally the only plants i have a hard time with are the cutting plants. the rest re pretty easy

I would need to completely replace my substrate, get all new lighting, CO2, fertilizer, and the plants themselves. I think I will do it on my next tank, buts its too big a job (and costs too much) to retrofit my current set-up. I hate the idea of throwing away my almost new lighting/hood and gravel too and I'm worried how my fish would handle the whole process. Next time...

Personally, I would avoid the planted tank idea. You don't sound really into it. And nothing is going to change your mind but you when you are ready. Don't feel bad though. I am not into it either. Maybe someday, but for now I will keep my silk plants. They are easy maintenance.
I love my coralife 50/50 bulb. I really need to get some for my other tank. I've only got them on 1 now. But how about a moonlight setup? I just made a DIY kit that I bought of of ebay for about $15.00 or so, and they look incredible! Real easy to make to.
Another thought is to paint the background black. I have black foil on both of mine ( too scared to actually paint the tank). The black did wonders to the overall feel of the tank. It gave the tank depth.

What's a moonlight set-up? That sounds interesting. I'm not into backgrounds, they always get water behind them, and like you I would be too scared to paint the tank.

its putting blue lights in your tank and turn them on at night so you can see the nocternal fish :)

Back
Top Bottom