What to do about this...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NOTDaleJR88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, this kinda sucks!

Tested the water this morning to find my Ammonia at some level between 1.5 & 2.0ppm. So after returning from church and watching some Nascar I got started on the water changes.

I estimate I've changed 70% of my water this afternoon. And I am STILL seeing about .5ppm levels.

So I think to myself... I wonder where my water (my tap water) is. And test the tap water and get this!

image-4001453422.jpg

I'm using the prescribed amounts of API Water Conditioners & Stress Coat for water changes... for the amounts of water when I add them. But I think maybe the amount of ammonia in my tap water is causing me some issues? Should the water conditioner remove the ammonia from the water before I put it in the tank?

For now, I used the API Ammo Lock... so staying on top of it. But will appreciate any comments anyone has.

Well, this kinda sucks!

Tested the water this morning to find my Ammonia at some level between 1.5 & 2.0ppm. So after returning from church and watching some Nascar I got started on the water changes.

I estimate I've changed 70% of my water this afternoon. And I am STILL seeing about .5ppm levels.

So I think to myself... I wonder where my water (my tap water) is. And test the tap water and get this!

I'm using the prescribed amounts of API Water Conditioners & Stress Coat for water changes... for the amounts of water when I add them. But I think maybe the amount of ammonia in my tap water is causing me some issues? Should the water conditioner remove the ammonia from the water before I put it in the tank?

For now, I used the API Ammo Lock... so staying on top of it. But will appreciate any comments anyone has.

I'm not sure about API's water conditioner but I use AmQuel+ for dechlorinating and it also detoxifies ammonia, nitrate and nitrite, which is helpful since my tap water has been known to be super high in ammonia at times. Have you tested your treated tap water?

Have you tested your treated tap water?

I did not.. because to be honest I really didn't realize I had this issue with the tap water until I had done the water changes.

So I will test in a cpl of days as I intend on doing more water changes if the filter has not removed the 'locked' ammonia from the API Ammo Lock.

With high levels of ammonia in the tap water I wouldn't do more than a 20% change or so. That will give you a safely diluted amount of ammonia. It's a much bigger issue if you're cycling a tank though.

The prime won't convert it but instead will detoxify it for a few days. That's another option for keeping your tank.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Prime.html

From the manufacturer " Prime® converts ammonia into a safe, non-toxic form that is readily removed by the tank’s biofilter. "

Prime converts Ammonia with binders into Ammonium. Not a long term solution, but used with the PWCs , it can help.

I was tired and typing on the app, so I sometimes answer very briefly. but I wanted to expand on the "convert" part. Sorry for any confusion.

Regards,
Tina ( still not a dude )

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Prime.html

From the manufacturer " Prime® converts ammonia into a safe, non-toxic form that is readily removed by the tank’s biofilter. "

Prime converts Ammonia with binders into Ammonium. Not a long term solution, but used with the PWCs , it can help.

I was tired and typing on the app, so I sometimes answer very briefly. but I wanted to expand on the "convert" part. Sorry for any confusion.

Regards,
Tina ( still not a dude )

Well thank you... uhmmm... Dude-ETTE! ;)

Back
Top Bottom