What to do about weekly WC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PJFISH

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all - I do my weekly water change on Sunday mornings. However this week I'm sick and can't feasibly do it until next weekend. What can I do until then to keep the fish/shrimp healthy?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Assuming this is an established tank and you are normally diligent about doing your weekly changes, one week should not hurt. Perhaps just top off any water lost to evaporation and then get back on your normal schedule next week? Otherwise, is there anybody around that could give you a hand? Hope you feel better soon.

An extra week should be okay but depending on tank size it doesn't take long to change. Maybe change it mid week if you feel better?

Caleb

Feeding less will help reduce nitrate growth.
On weeks when I know I may be to busy to do my usual I feed just a little less.
1 missed water change really shouldn't cause any trouble though IMO.

Thanks guys! I just topped it off today and added Prime to help. I'll be sure to not over feed.

I also do my water changes on Sunday mornings. Last year I had surgery and couldn't do anything for a few weeks. I missed the water change for one week. The second week I had a friend do the water change. The fish were fine. I didn't lose any.

Minimal feeding is the key to a longer spell without a WC. When I'm on holiday for two weeks the fish just get fed every third day, and less than I would normally feed in a day. The tank is well planted and often the nitrates are less than before I went away and the fish look very good.

Sent from my iPad in West Yorkshire, U.K.

If you have a small tank you should use amquel ammonia detoxifier, It works like a charm. It gets rid of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

If you have a small tank you should use amquel ammonia detoxifier, It works like a charm. It gets rid of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

In a cycled tank you shouldn't see ammonia and nitrites anyway. And water still needs to be changed because of TDS.

Caleb

you do start seeing them b/c there would be too much for the bioload to handle when you don't do water changes.

Wait ... does he live in the UK?

you do start seeing them b/c there would be too much for the bioload to handle when you don't do water changes.

No I'm in the US

Would adding a dose of Prime help? Maybe someone e who knows can comment on that idea.

Sent via an unladen European Swallow

This made me think of how many years (Before I learned of weekly water changes) I went a month at a time without water changes and I didn't loose fish.

I think you should research that a bit and you will find that is not true. Just because he doesnt do a water change doesnt change the bioload. The fish are still creating the same amount of waste and the BB are turning it into Nitrates. there will just be a higher level of nitrates then normal. Assuming hes been doing water changes and this is a half way established tank there will be no harm in missing a waterchange. IMO a weekly water change on a freshwater tank unless you are housing sensitive fish is overkill anyways. Saltwater is a different story you need to do water changes to keep nitrates low and replace your calcium, magnesium and other elements. Freshwater fish can handle really high nitrates do not worry missing a water that you do weekly will have no change on your tank at all.

Back
Top Bottom