What to do with a 10 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FoxRob

Aquarium Advice Activist
OK just got a 10 gallon tank from a work associate of my wife's. It has the stand heater and filter. I don't know how long it's been without fish. Thinking of putting a Betta in it once it is cycled what else can go in it too?

I was going to be a hospital tank but my wife wants another display tank.

you can put some cardinal tetras or neon tetras, or ember tetras with a betta...probably 6 of either kind. That will still give you room for some more species if you like.

daileene said:
you can put some cardinal tetras or neon tetras, or ember tetras with a betta...probably 6 of either kind. That will still give you room for some more species if you like.

Careful. Neon tetra are fin nippers so they ain't recommended for Betta.

daileene said:
oh i am sorry...i didn't know that....i have read it somewhere that they are okay together.

I have green neon tetras and cockatoo apistos (the male has quite a caudal fin) and they don't bother him at all...so maybe greenies are a good way to go :) they are usually smaller too! I also understand that it depends on the personality of the individual fish...

I have this stocking in my ten:
6 neon tetra
3 ottos
2 African Dwarf Frogs
1 male betta
I've never heard of neons being nippy before.

Homedog98 said:
I have this stocking in my ten:
6 neon tetra
3 ottos
2 African Dwarf Frogs
1 male betta
I've never heard of neons being nippy before.

Me neither to be honest

daileene said:
i am sure the cardinal ones are fine...i didn't know that neon tetras nips..

Ya cardinals I couldn't fine much info of them nipping via google but a different story for neon. U can find it pretty easily.

If you don't aleady have a hospital tank, I would have an other discussion with the wife. It really is important. But its so hard to have an empty tank sitting around when you want more fish!!

I would reccomened the betta and some bottom feeders like cories, Bronze cories or Pygmy Cories are a great choice. Cardinal tetras wil get too large for a 10 gal. I just ove watching my fighting fish by himself just swimming around taking it easy.

Back
Top Bottom