What to do with a 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a betta, 4 neons, 2 amono shrimp and two nerite snails in my extra 10g high tech planted. Was originally going to be just the betta shrimp and snails.

Sent from my iPhone

I use my 10g for a fry tank. Have about 40 1 week old swordtails in there at the moment. I also planted it with some driftwood. I use it to keep all the plant clippings from my other tanks incase I ever want to use or sell them. I tend to randomly buy new tanks a lot and need the plants...

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405899292.917977.jpg

Nice use as kind of an "extra" tank the thing if,I don't really have that much surplus at the moment

Sent from my PG86100 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Trust me, once you start doing planted tanks. You just keep buying plants and before you know it you have no room!

Yeah haha, I'm like mmmm yeah I can fit something in there. *gets plant-doesn't fit.....

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah haha, I'm like mmmm yeah I can fit something in there. *gets plant-doesn't fit.....

Isn't this the truth... I have enough issues replanting trimmings as it is.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm only new to planted tanks but in the 3-4 months I've had mine running I have hygro, wisteria, brazillian chain sword, baby tears, Anubias (which has been propagated into 4 different plants and some crypt balansae and have plans for a sword in the next few weeks.

It's crammed my tank but my fish love it. I have wisteria planted and bundled floating on the surface....

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405932029.876898.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405932121.704774.jpg
Tank as of now, still a bit cloudy from rescape but yeah waiting for it to grow in....ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405932218.887938.jpg
My babies haha

My main 10g used stock incandescent hood. I just swapped lights for ZooMed UltraSun screw in Mini CFLs about $8-10 a bulb.

Crypts
Java Ferns
Anubias are all easy plants.
Crypts just need root tabs every 4 months or so.
I add a liquid Fert 1x a week after PWC.

My favorite Nano fish are Celestial Pearl Danios.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My main 10g used stock incandescent hood. I just swapped lights for ZooMed UltraSun screw in Mini CFLs about $8-10 a bulb.

Crypts
Java Ferns
Anubias are all easy plants.
Crypts just need root tabs every 4 months or so.
I add a liquid Fert 1x a week after PWC.

My favorite Nano fish are Celestial Pearl Danios.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes the pearl danios. I love them I just have never seen any for sale

A great option for cheap good quality lighting, as mentioned previously, is screwing in compact fluorescent bulbs into your incandescent fixture. 2 13 Watts would be perfect. That's what I have in my 10 gallon and it's a fantastic amount of light. If you don't have a hood, you can do the same thing but get shop lights to use as fixtures. I have two 23 W bulbs in those and hang them from the ceiling on my 20 gal. It looks really cool, I think. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405963883.179505.jpg you can kind of see in the pic I've attached. 10 gallons can still be really fun! You could do African dwarf frogs or salt and pepper (habrosus) cories. I LOVE those, and then a simple school of like 6-8 of one type of fish would look great. Celestial Pearl danios are beautiful, but yeah they can be hard to find. Good luck!

Where would you get these bulbs

Home Depot, lowes, Walmart. They're the kind you use in your house. If you don't know what to look for, ask a sales associate for 13 Watt compact fluorescent bulbs. You want the 6500k spectrum, which is best for plants. The lightbulb will look twisted like a coil

Sound easy enough, and cheap! Thanks for the tip!

A great option for cheap good quality lighting, as mentioned previously, is screwing in compact fluorescent bulbs into your incandescent fixture. 2 13 Watts would be perfect. That's what I have in my 10 gallon and it's a fantastic amount of light. If you don't have a hood, you can do the same thing but get shop lights to use as fixtures. I have two 23 W bulbs in those and hang them from the ceiling on my 20 gal. It looks really cool, I think. View attachment 243882 you can kind of see in the pic I've attached. 10 gallons can still be really fun! You could do African dwarf frogs or salt and pepper (habrosus) cories. I LOVE those, and then a simple school of like 6-8 of one type of fish would look great. Celestial Pearl danios are beautiful, but yeah they can be hard to find. Good luck!

I love your tank

Thank you! That's an old pic actually, I just keep messing with it more and more haha

I have four workshop domes with 23w spiral CFL's (6500K I believe) in addition to my BML LED fixture. They definitely blast the tank with light. The polycarbonate domes I have are coated with a highly reflective white surface, much better than the typical aluminum ones. Each dome was about $10, and the bulbs came in a pack of four for $15. Phillips brand at Home Depot. This is what the combo looks like.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1406003691270.jpg
    1406003691270.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 66
If you 10 gallon came with two incandescent bulbs, then you should replace those for two 10 watt fluorescent bulbs from Walmart or petsmart/petco. They're like five dollars each but it's definitely worth it. They're great for low to moderate lighting plants... When dealing with plants, the watts don't really matter. It's the lumens (brightness) that counts

I love your, tank. What is it stocked,with how many gallons? It's beautiful

Back
Top Bottom