What to do with a 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What to do with 10g

Make it into:
1. Planted tank with shrimp and add small fishes.
2. Quarantine tank.
3. Breed guppies or mollies (feeders) if you plan on getting aggressive fish species.
4. Betta tank

I think I'll do a guppy breeder, or live bearer, I've never had luck with live bearers, never produce fry, are they eating them? Also how many should I put in

Sent from my PG86100 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Which of the three would you suggest

The bulbs I use are
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003QZF7JA?pc_redir=1405492865&robot_redir=1

You don't want too much wattage or you'll just grow Algae and/or need to add CO2. Planted tanks use timers. Lights on usually 6-8 hours. You can use a split schedule if you like.
Mine are 2 hours morning and 4 hours evening

You can check my profile for my tank pics

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Your tank it's beautiful especially the surface plants, what kind of plants did you put in there and I see you just used gravel and got those results

Aww, Too bad about the gouramis:( But that's okay! It's your tank anyways:) I recommend guppies, you get all sorts of patterns and colour mixes when you breed them nicely, chose females with different colours than the male. 3F-1M and put in only two or three sets of guppies, they breed FAST! Don't worry, add some plants in and all the babies won't get eaten as long as you make sure you have a sponge filter. You don't want them all anyways, they have a lot of babies:D Gl

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Don't worry,I have tanks to spare, the gouramis will get their tank! I live ten minutes from grand rapids

Pruess pets in Lansing should have a nice selection of nano fish to stock your tank with, or if you ever make it out to the east side Fantastic Fins in Livonia is a great place.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've got an awesome 10 gal with 8 guppies. They're so colorful and fun to watch.

Your tank it's beautiful especially the surface plants, what kind of plants did you put in there and I see you just used gravel and got those results

If you are asking about my tank ?

There are many species of plants. Lots of Crypts species and stems and mosses. There is a list in my profile.

No gravel. I used black sand.

The surface plants with the long roots are Amazon Frogbit. They don't like too strong a current. Mine grow well. There is some Duckweed as well.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have four workshop domes with 23w spiral CFL's (6500K I believe) in addition to my BML LED fixture. They definitely blast the tank with light. The polycarbonate domes I have are coated with a highly reflective white surface, much better than the typical aluminum ones. Each dome was about $10, and the bulbs came in a pack of four for $15. Phillips brand at Home Depot. This is what the combo looks like.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm curious about what your substrate is capped with, it looks like mulch or something. I really like it.

I second the guppy tank idea. That's what we did with our 12. Or endlers- stay smaller so you can get more

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What filter would you get for a guppy breeder tank, just a sponge?

What filter would you get for a guppy breeder tank, just a sponge?

Yes a sponge filter will do fine. I prefer the hydro sponge brand they work very well and you have the choice of either fine or course sponges.

Back
Top Bottom