What to do with a 2.5g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Converting over to sand is pretty easy. When I did our 10g I put everyone in a bucket, filter, heater etc, plants in another one. I already had the sand rinsed out and had it soaking for a day in old tank water and a bacterial suppliment (only time I use that crap) and a piece of pantyhose with a few handfulls of the gravel that I was changing out.

I scooped out all the gravel, poured in the sand, let it settle. Put the filter back on and let it cycle around for an hour then added the fish back in. I waited a few days before adding the plants so I could stir up any air pockets. Tested the water, everything was fine so I put the fish back in. It did a mini-cycle on the 4th day after adding everyone back, but daily w/c fixed that right up.

All in all, it was easy and I like it much better. I have some before and after shots in my albums. :)

Where did you get the black sand? I wanted to use black sand but I'd have to wait til I got money for tht too. I'm not so sure if my mom is up with this planted tank idea. I still have to ask her.

We had our lfs order it.

The 3M website has local dealers in all areas if you want to go with the 3Mcolorquartz stuff. It's pretty cheap too. I think my boyfriend got it at $23 a 50lb bag. I'm sure pricing is going to be different in your neck of the woods.

Oh duh. You did say 2.5g and here I am thinking on a bigger scale. :silly:

But you should be able to find the 5lb bags of sand at Petco or Petsmart. I know the ones here have started carrying it. You might give them a call to see, they might have to order if it's not a stock item. You can also look in their reptile section. Some of the sands they carry in that section are fish safe.

It finally cleared up (substrate looks nasty) can't w8 to change to pfs later this week
3871897588_1313541e3b.jpg

Re-Set it up

I set up my 2.5g again. I put in some pfs, and and added some plants. Here are some pics.
3879351663_e3c4daaea3.jpg

3879351727_44aa0c0ac7.jpg
3880148744_54b751d63d.jpg
3879351599_3a915d07f0.jpg

Btw, I set the filter on low so that hopefully the java fern will settle down. I wish it would plant itself like mg's pennywort lol.

I think that little tank is looking pretty awesome AQ1. You should try and find some light to put over it, because it will look 10x better with a nice light.

Then why not get rid of the 5gallon hex, and the 10G.. and then getting the small nano.. I love loop holes. :p

Lol cuz first of all they have fish in it and secondly I'd be setting up a nano. Bsides Im also not allowed to have a sw tank either.

Ok the bulb in the clamp light I had aiming on the tank went out so I got the only bulb I thot we had. It was a soft white bulb and it wasn't near as brite. But today I found a 13w/60w equivelant bulb cfl for it. It is really bright. The limit for fire hazard on the lamp is 40w. Would the 13w count or would you count the 60w which would mean too many w?

Awesome Pics

I got some really awesome pics of my tank, all I have to do is find the cable for the camera lol.

Found It :D
Red tint added by camera (I couldn't resist the white balance error lol) :
3951343079_8365b052fd.jpg
3952122064_e1e58c9a0a.jpg

After fixing white balance:
3952122114_203dea6214.jpg

Snails (and lots of them) :
3951343211_ca45eeec35.jpg

Back
Top Bottom