What to do with a 2.5g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium1

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I have this 2.5g Bow Front from when I started the hobby :n00b: and I was wondering what I could do with it. It has an internal filter rated for 5-15g. It doesn't really hav a light because I had a fluorescent in it and when I was taking it out, it broke :(. Now it is sitting in front of a window which keeps the plants growing. So since it has been empty I have raised Salamanders and set them free (btw, really fun experience). Then, I filled it up with water and put my filter back in and added some plants I had been holding for my other tanks for a while. Now all it has is one elodea (I think its elodea). and it is cycled. It does need some maintenance as it has some algae and the bottom is covered with slime lol. It keeps the cycle going tho. I'm wondering what I can do with it. Any ideas? Also, where could I get a replacement hood or something similar?

If you put a bubbler in you could keep different kinds of sulawesi snails. I think they rock :)

I would make it into a nano tank with a bunch of small leaved plants like anubias petite. Make it into an awesome microcosm.

I wouldn't actually be able to do anything til I get some money lol, maybe around my bday?. The thing is, there are no quality plants at the lfs, most aren't even aquatic. And the ones tht are, aren't doing very good. But tht is a good idea.

My 1g in my profile came as a kit, it works very well. But for some of my other small tanks I use a normal light fitting and a full spectrum light bulb (easy to get at any garden or pet shop). For smaller tanks a 60W wil do and for larger ones a 150W. And you can increase the light with a tin reflector (yes, I like to save money on equipment so I can spend it on snails).

My 1g in my profile came as a kit, it works very well. But for some of my other small tanks I use a normal light fitting and a full spectrum light bulb (easy to get at any garden or pet shop). For smaller tanks a 60W wil do and for larger ones a 150W. And you can increase the light with a tin reflector (yes, I like to save money on equipment so I can spend it on snails).

nice, do you know where I can get those snails?

To get different kinds you have to watch for them on aquabid and ebay. The kind with a black shell and yellow spotted body is available at Karma Farms Aquatics--they are $10 but they generally give you one more than you order. I think one of the brown shell species is on aquabid now.

I wouldn't actually be able to do anything til I get some money lol, maybe around my bday?. The thing is, there are no quality plants at the lfs, most aren't even aquatic. And the ones tht are, aren't doing very good. But tht is a good idea.

Believe it or not, Petsmart and Petco do have some truly aquatic plants, some of those in the plastic tubes and at decent prices (here anyways)
Our's has anubias, swords, banana plants and wisteria (hygrophilia). At our Petco I got quite a few types of swords and some big anubias plants for cheap. They were having a buy one get one special. I kinda went a little nuts with it ;)

Believe it or not, Petsmart and Petco do have some truly aquatic plants, some of those in the plastic tubes and at decent prices (here anyways)
Our's has anubias, swords, banana plants and wisteria (hygrophilia). At our Petco I got quite a few types of swords and some big anubias plants for cheap. They were having a buy one get one special. I kinda went a little nuts with it ;)

I'm not very good with the banana plants but the anubias sounds like a plan. The next time I go there, which might be a while since I need money and its an hour and a half away, I'll have to look. I thot they were all nonaquatic and trying to rip every1 off lol.

I know the prices here aren't too bad for plants. But yeah, I can understand having to wait for money. I spent all my b-day money buying that 80g set up last Sunday. I had no lunch money yesterday lol

I know the prices here aren't too bad for plants. But yeah, I can understand having to wait for money. I spent all my b-day money buying that 80g set up last Sunday. I had no lunch money yesterday lol

lol. I'm thinking of making a snail/shrimp(CRS? maybe)/planted tank. I'm going to the pet store to look around at the cichlids for my other tank, but they have a few plants I'll look at.

I went to the pet store and they had some ok plants. I mite get them near my bday. Is there any chance I could have endlers? I saw some in with the plants and they looked amazing.

Awe but thyre so cool and small. Well I guess they're only small for a while :( they did have anubias at my lfs don't know how much. I'll have to check again some other time.

Edit: actually "Because of the small size of the Endler's Livebearer they make an excellent fish for the popular small 2 gallon desk top aquarium for the office" they only reach an inch long. And then I'll do regular water changes too.

Edit: actually "Because of the small size of the Endler's Livebearer they make an excellent fish for the popular small 2 gallon desk top aquarium for the office" they only reach an inch long. And then I'll do regular water changes too.

Correct me if this info is wrong.

you are wrong. only the males stays 1 inch. i still wouldnt put them in a 2 gallon.

you are wrong. only the males stays 1 inch. i still wouldnt put them in a 2 gallon.

I was going to do all male but ok. Maybe I could stay with some shrimp and snails. I'll need to read up on Red Cherry Shrimp, Red Crystal shrimp and the Singapore flower shrimp. I'll also need to read on tht cool snail. Would I have to feed the shrimp anything?

Back
Top Bottom