what to do with bob...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Bob.. my pleco is about a foot long now and sometimes he bumps into rocks or hits the sides as he's swimming... my initial plan was to buy a bigger tank upon graduation but now that that time is approaching we have decided to renew our lease here and i don't have room for another... bigger... tank. Also i want to use my sign on bonus to pay of some nursing school accumulated credit card debt :oops: :lol: . ANd put the rest into savings so that i actually have SOMETHING to fall back on in case something happens.

Anyway my question is waht is the best thing to do for Bob??? I have two options.
1. Sell back to the LFS In hopes that someone with a larger and spacious tank will buy him... and with the fear that some kid will buy him for a 30 gallon tank.

2. put him in my aunts outdoor goldfish pond-problem... temperatures in an unheated pond?

did'nt even think aboug craigslist! Or i could put a paper up at the LFS and check and make sure that it goes to a decent place. It seems silly to do so much for just a common pleco... but ive had this fish for over a year and even my husband says it's his favorite fish.

YOure up aweful early!!!!

I like the idea of posting a note on the wall of your LFS. or even checking your local malls, some sometimes they have a big ole tank that you might be able to talk them into taking your friend.

Good Luck with it.

Wade

This is in FL right?
what is the coldest water temerature the pond reaches?

note: for anyone reading, this is a private goldfish pond, if it were a fishing pond this would mostlikely be illegal and could mean large fines an possible time in jail.

I would definetly go with the pond! A pleco is going to be fine in almost any Floridian pond, and if you give it about a month and preferably introduce him when the water temperature is as high as possible he will not be stressed by the change and will have plenty of time to acclimate to cooler weather before it comes. Plus of course you can still see old Bob, and drop in the occasional Zucchini slice.

well then i guess he's going to the pond! We live in central FL and i don't know, i never tested her pond waters temperature but i sure will be now.. lol. Its not going to be right away.. im gonna wait a couple of months.
thanks everyone
Ashley

The region is plenty tropical, there are wild pleco's in the pond behind my apartment that range from 12 to 18". I'd say Bob is in for a nice happy time.
I'm still not sure if pleco's are supposed to be here, but they're there, along with cichlids, mollies, platties and a dozen other varieties of imported animals.

About the only thing that doesn't survive out here is real grass, the crab grass and heat kill it. Other than that the main question about releasing animals is if it's safe for the environment, not the animal. Same goes especially for the plants, there are a lot of aquarium plants that would go nuts if released down here.

i would never release a fish into the wild. The pleco's got there because of people releasing them. And there's a huge thing in lake county with the apple snails eating the vegetation.

But i think bob will enjoy his fish pond.

greenmaji said:
my only concern would be does the area ever flood. If not then putting him in the goldfish pond sounds fine to me.

lol... no it doesn't flood where we are. Just because its florida doesn't mean it floods EVERYWHERE. My family believes on buying land in high areas... not in lowlying areas where they had to drain the land to build a house (thats just stupid) seriously.. they drain the ponds and such adn then expect to build homes there and THEN they complain about sinkholes and flooding?? HELLO people.. lol.

so it doesn't flood and its warm enough. I can go feed him a zuchini every once in a while and he can eat teh tons of algae that grows in there. I think he will be very happy in such a huge pond.

Yeap, sounds like Bob is in for a good time!

I ABSOLUTLY LOVE PLECOS!

but, I only have a 10gallon tank right now, so no plecos for me :(

shaunakadub said:
Yeap, sounds like Bob is in for a good time!

I ABSOLUTLY LOVE PLECOS!

but, I only have a 10gallon tank right now, so no plecos for me :(

i LOVE Pleco's too. But no more commons for me. Im going to miss bob but the next best IMO is bristlenose (for algae eaters) there's lots of other cool pleco's but some are actually carniverous!

You could have a bristlenose in your 10 gallon. I have an albino bristlenose inmy 10 gallon and he's about 3" long right now. I think they max out at about 5" (correct me if i am wrong)

almost every state has area's that flood.. and not often.. it was a valid consern IMHO..

but sure places like FL have rediculus area's that people have desided to develop. :p

Back
Top Bottom