What to do with excess fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pylor

Aquarium Advice Regular
2 months ago or so I bought 2 female and 1 male endlers from my LFS (who also gave me 2 fry for free) to do in-tank cycling. 4 days after getting them I suddenly had 10 fry swimming along the bottom. Fast forward another month I now have well over 25 fish of varying ages in my 29 gallon tank.

I hate the idea of purposefully killing fish, so that's not an option. I haven't contacted my LFS about taking them (petsmart and especially petco both have horrible tanks, the other store I got them from is going pure saltwater soon), but I am considering it as an option. Does anyone else have any recommendations as to where I could give some away to a good home?

Also, one of the fully grown females did die, but I have a feeling it was pregnancy complications (she was stuck to my very, VERY gentle sponge filter and when I tried to take her out a bunch of stillborn fry spilled out like she had been ripped in that area). I haven't seen any levels of most chemicals aside from a very very slight amount of ammonia.

You could inquire with your LFSs to see if they'll take them or list them online on craigslist or AA's classified section. I agree though that letting nature taking its course and allowing the fry to be eaten is perfectly fine too.

I say classified section here. Even if you did free local I am sure someone would grab them.

The other option like someone said is a more "centerpiece" fish who will take care of fry as they pop up

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm not a fan of angels (no offense!) and I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to eat the full grown endlers. I'm not against nature taking its course either, but I'm not big on "centerpiece" (bigger) fish. My plans were originally to have some endlers roaming around, some long fin zebras in the upper levels of the tank, and some neons in the lower regions. I'd imagine the zebras would help (my tank pH is too high for neons atm imo).

Thanks for the ideas, I'll give it some more thought. I actually originally intended for the parents to take care of them like with guppies (which I've had before), but apparently that doesn't happen.

Maybe add some guppies then? Of course then that could lead to more fry. We have an all guppy tank. Usually every batch of fry 1 or 0 make it of all of them.

Some people have a really hard time finding endlers too so I don't think you would have trouble selling them on here

Guppies and Endlers will cross breed. While getting Guppies could control numbers some will live and not get eating. So any that do make it past the guppies might be mixes so you couldn't sell them.

Back
Top Bottom