What to do with pest snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rcsguy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been having a snail explosion and I can make traps, but what am I supposed to do with the snails? I don't have a pond or a tank to put them in. thanks

Put them in a bag, stick them in the mail and send them to me! I've got dwarf puffers to feed!

Aside from that, if you smash them, other fish will generally eat them, so you can use them as fish food. Otherwise, just throw them away I guess? If you want to humanely euthanize them you could try to get some potassium chloride.

If you're in the mood for a new tank set up puffers for yourselves! Pretty easy IME and not nearly as hard as people make them out to be. I wouldn't ever throw them away because then I'd feel really bad for them, and smashing them is just a little mean, don't you think? Lots of fish eat them. My GBR eats them and my amano's and crayfish eat them right out of the shell. I'd probably leave them actually, but that's just me.

If you're in the mood for a new tank set up puffers for yourselves! Pretty easy IME and not nearly as hard as people make them out to be. I wouldn't ever throw them away because then I'd feel really bad for them, and smashing them is just a little mean, don't you think? Lots of fish eat them. My GBR eats them and my amano's and crayfish eat them right out of the shell. I'd probably leave them actually, but that's just me.

Ehh, smashing them is likely quick and painless, if you're going down the road of lethality. I have to do far worse in the lab sometimes xP

You could get Assassin Snails. They have a low bioload, and could dispose of the snails without you having to deal with it.

Put them in a bag and put saltwater in with them or crush their shells and guppies and mollies will eat the snail itself and so will loaches

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

thanks for the suggestions everyone. I know flushing is generally a bad idea, but what if I smash them before I do? At the moment none of my fish would eat the snails (neons?)

thanks for the suggestions everyone. I know flushing is generally a bad idea, but what if I smash them before I do? At the moment none of my fish would eat the snails (neons?)

If you smash snails most fish will eat them. If they don't, then yeah, smash them before you flush them as they can be vectors for disease.

I had pond snails and still do have MTS in my community tank. The Assassin snails took care of the pond snails, but for some reason, it seems like they didn't go after the Malaysian Trumpet Snails. Since I have a planted tank, and don't seem to have tons of them, I leave them alone. I have read that MTS can be beneficial in a planted tank.

If you smash snails most fish will eat them. If they don't, then yeah, smash them before you flush them as they can be vectors for disease.

thank you I'll try it

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had pond snails and still do have MTS in my community tank. The Assassin snails took care of the pond snails, but for some reason, it seems like they didn't go after the Malaysian Trumpet Snails. Since I have a planted tank, and don't seem to have tons of them, I leave them alone. I have read that MTS can be beneficial in a planted tank.

my problem has turned out to be an explosion in apple/mystery snails. 2 were fine haha

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom