What to do with plant hitchhiker snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteCloud

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had ordered some plants online a few months ago...now I have TONS (like 25-30) small, non-descript snails which are all about 1/4 inch in size.

I have no idea what kinds of snails these are. Also...a problem is that all freshwater invertebrates are illegal in Maine...so along with having a lot...I could be breaking a law or something.

Any idea what I can do with these snails?? I am afraid I may have A LOT more in a few months if I keep them around.

I really don't want to just euthanize these guys just for being there...seems a little unfair to them...not to mention the guilt I would feel for doing it. I wish I had a puffer or something that I could feed these to.

Anyone have any recommendations for this problem?

Thanks

WC

If you're talking about your 90 gal tank, then a trio of clown loaches will take care of those snails in no time.

well, It depends on what snails you have. If they burrow down into the gravel then you could have MTS ... the signature of these snails is their conical and spiral shell on them. That being the case, they are one of the hardest snails to get rid of. My striped and spotted raphael and my kuhli loaches keep the population down significantly (plus other people in my area that are begging for them). The MTS have an extremely hard shell that only african cichlids and puffers can eat aside from a few other creatures like i mentioned already.

As for your laws, no need to worry. Here in Canada, fish stores keep special permits because there is no way for people to guarentee that there wouldn't be any "hitch-hikers" on plants or anything. I know this because i contacted the agricultural department for alberta. You could do the same and inquire about the by-laws that could exist for aquarium hobbiests. Nothing can be totally guarenteed to be snail or invertibrate free.

I am only seeing them on the drift wood and glass...sometimes on the plants...but they appear not to be eating the plants...but perhaps just the algae on the leaves.

The shells seem longer and flatter, than say my Turbo or Astrea snails in my saltwater tank. No real coloration...just a drab brown/goldish/transparent like color.

The Loachs sound like a nice idea...and...more permanent...and they will find ones I did not. I guess Clown and Kulhli Loaches would both work...I like the looks of the clowns...a school of 6 would liven up the bottom of my tank quite a bit. I need to hold off until I have completed a heat/salt treatment from Ick...it has been over a week since I have seen any spots...so I think I will start lowering the temp slowly...and do some waterchanges with fresh water for a while.

I have heard horror stories about the laws in Maine...Wildlife and fisheries coming in....fining you $500-1000 per incident (in my case would be $30,000 for 30 snails)..and put cyanide in your tanks....killing the snails and all your other fish. Talk about a bad day!! I couldn't even imagine how I would feel after an invasion like that. I see Canada as a much more friendly, and perhaps more intelligent knowing that you will end up with snails..even if you don't try to buy them. Maine is black and white about the laws.

You can now see my concern about getting the snails out! I have my fun with invertebrates in my saltwater..which are perfectly legal!

Thanks,

WC

WhiteCloud said:
I am only seeing them on the drift wood and glass...sometimes on the plants...but they appear not to be eating the plants...but perhaps just the algae on the leaves.

Some like to eat the dead and decaying parts of the plants just as much as they eat the plants themselves.

I have heard horror stories about the laws in Maine...Wildlife and fisheries coming in....fining you $500-1000 per incident (in my case would be $30,000 for 30 snails)..and put cyanide in your tanks....killing the snails and all your other fish. Talk about a bad day!! I couldn't even imagine how I would feel after an invasion like that. I see Canada as a much more friendly, and perhaps more intelligent knowing that you will end up with snails..even if you don't try to buy them. Maine is black and white about the laws.
WC

That sounds more like urban legend to me... I doubt they could get a warrant (I believe they have to have evidence of a felony for a warrant) to search your house for pond snails. Now if you have a fish store, and they are doing a routine check...well then part of your scenario sounds plausible.

There are many, many loaches you could choose from other than just the clowns...

Back
Top Bottom