What to do with Platy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galligak

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a Mickey mouse platy that's causing havoc! She's bullied 4 fish to death within a day. I've had her for 5-6 months and have never seen her behave like that before! She was in my 55g, but I had to move her to a 2.5g:(. I feel really bad about her being in there. I don't know what to do with her! I've called to some of the pet stores and they all say that they can't take her! Please help, I don't want her to be stuck in the 2.5!!!

did anything signicifant happen over the past few days that may have stressed it out? also is your tank stocked correctly, overcrowding may lead to bullying. she may even be pregnant if she's been in contact with a male platy or swordtail.

Try to move stuff around your 55 gallon and putting her back there after a few days.
Might work.
My female swordtail was mad in my 15 gallon, she killed a gourami, now she dont even go near another gourami in my 47, he tries to hit her lol..

JokerWx13 said:
did anything signicifant happen over the past few days that may have stressed it out? also is your tank stocked correctly, overcrowding may lead to bullying. she may even be pregnant if she's been in contact with a male platy or swordtail.

The only thing that happened was I took out my cardinals and put in diamond tetras instead, oh and I had just gotten another female platy. Would that have made her stressed? The tank had: one lone (soon to have more) peppered corydora, 2 angels, 3 endler/guppy hybrids, 2 female platies (including her) and 7 diamond tetras.

torres said:
Try to move stuff around your 55 gallon and putting her back there after a few days.
Might work.
My female swordtail was mad in my 15 gallon, she killed a gourami, now she dont even go near another gourami in my 47, he tries to hit her lol..

Ok I'll try that. Tomorrow I'll put her in the 55g after I switch some things around:)

whoa o.o angels with guppies and tetras doesnt sound like a good thing to me. guppies and tetras may be fin nippers and angels might see the tetras and guppies as snacks lol but if they've been fine for you then it means you've been feeding the angels well. i don't have a clearcut reason right now but try giving it a time out in the 2.5g, then put her back in the 55g. if you do a massive water change, that could also stress the fish too

JokerWx13 said:
whoa o.o angels with guppies and tetras doesnt sound like a good thing to me. guppies and tetras may be fin nippers and angels might see the tetras and guppies as snacks lol but if they've been fine for you then it means you've been feeding the angels well. i don't have a clearcut reason right now but try giving it a time out in the 2.5g, then put her back in the 55g. if you do a massive water change, that could also stress the fish too

There are no guppies just platies, and the hybrid is more endler than guppy, plus they're still fry, hoping to see them get eaten. The diamonds just swim with themselves not even paying attention to the other fish. The angels are now dead, so they aren't and issue. I feed the fish about once a day, flakes and pellets, skip one day and then give some bloodworms. I guess Minnie will be in her time out for a little while then I will try her in there again:)

a day's time out should do the trick. but some fish never learn (like my swordtail) and have to constantly be in the time out zone >.> he acts fine for a couple of days then he goes back to being the bully he was

Back
Top Bottom