what to do with the new tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandonjkoontz1

Aquarium Advice Regular
So iv been planning a 30 gallon long tank for a while now and iv finally got it up and running. Cyclings finished an my parameters are exactly where they should be. Its been about a week since its been done and I still have no idea what to put in it. Until yesterday my sisters apartment got some major flooding and a roof fell on her tank. Amazingly one of her yellow gouramis survived and we put him in my 30g tank. I know absaloutly nothing about these fish and have been doing a lot of research but still have no idea about compatability or even how I should aquascape to make him and his new roommates feel safe and at home. Any sugestions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I've had a gourami before and they were territorial towards each other. Two males will be territorial to each other. You can put more then one in the tank but you might be better off with just one. They are peaceful with other fish so you could do some bronze cories for the bottom of the tank and some top swimmers and middle swimmers too. Gouramis tend to be middle of the tank dwellers. You could make the gourami as the centerpiece of the tank since they grow to 5 inches.

Yeah I def won't get another. I was thinking about a corey and then maybe some schooling fish. But I'm not sure about numbers with the space I have.

With 30 gallons and a single gourami, you have quite some space for fish. First of all, corys are shoaling fish; I recommend having at least 3-5 of them in any given tank.

For stocking options, I would look into tetras and rasboras. Barbs are okay too, just don't get any tiger barbs, because they will inevitably nip at the gourami's fins.

Back
Top Bottom