What to do with this fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dieanna

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay, pertaining to the topic I posted about the catfish I now believe is a channel cat. It's now time to get rid of him because he's been attacking my other fish, even my gouramis who are his size! Right now I have him in one of those little acrylic critter tanks. I'm not sure what to do with him. Is he worth anything if I try to sell? Would an aquarium store take him from me? There's a big pond down the road I could drop him in, but that doesn't seem right to me. Plus, being 3.5", he's sure to become bass food. Any suggestions?

ah, how nice another Syracusin...lol

i would try to give him to a lfs and if they wont take him try to ask some friends if they have large tanks if they would take him

East Syracuse, i could say let him out in the Erie Canal when he gets larger because there are plenty of those in there i catch all the time

There's a small pond in Nedrow where we fish every now and then. I was thinking about dropping him in there. I think he'd like it. The bass there are really big. He'd probably get chomped the minute I dropped him in. I'll try the stores around here first. I wish I had an extra tank to keep him in.

well if i had anything larger then my 10 i would take him off your hands with no problem, well do your best to try to let him get as big as possible so he can be large enough to freely swim

If the LFS wont take the fish....
There really isnt a fish tank big enough to accomidate the fish in the long run.. I would check with the department of natural resorces before releasing the fish into the wild ie the river.. Do you know the owner of the pond personaly.. If so you could ask if they wouldnt mind the fish in the pond.. I really dont think it would be in any more danger than if it was born in the wild.. channel cats hide in the mud it wouldnt take long for it to hide from the bass unless the bass are so prevelent there mouths are sticking out of the water..ROFL..

well up here you never know, sometimes as soon as the bait from the line hits the water a bass swallows it, its quite funny.....but i was thinking the same thing...also call up the Rosemond Zoo i know they have a huge pond exhibit...who knows

good luck though! :D

Lol, that's funny. I actually sent an email to the zoo over the weekend about it, but they haven't gotten back to me. I thought it would be cool to visit him everyonce in a while. Their tank looks big enough to fit another large fish. Yeah, the pond had many spots thick with cattails. That will be his home if all else fails. Lol, maybe in a couple years I'll hook him.

Releasing aquarium fish is terribly irresponsible as well as extremely illegal in most places (with really big, nasty fines).....advertise around...I am sure that there is someone nearby with a koi pond that would like a free catfish.

greenmagi said:
I would check with the department of natural resorces before releasing the fish into the wild ie the river..

Is a privately owned pond that has bass in it any different then a koi pond legally?

So checking with the department of natural resources would be nessisary for a release into a private fishing pond as well..?

Back
Top Bottom