what to feed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giffmastaflex

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have a black ghost knife, rainbow shark, angel, gold gurami, an African feather fin catfish, and an African leaf fish and I'm wondering what sort of live food I can feed them/breed I am currently feeding them frozen brine shrimp. And if I were to breed a specific food what is the smallest tank I can use?

giffmastaflex said:
So I have a black ghost knife, rainbow shark, angel, gold gurami, an African feather fin catfish, and an African leaf fish and I'm wondering what sort of live food I can feed them/breed I am currently feeding them frozen brine shrimp. And if I were to breed a specific food what is the smallest tank I can use?

All of your fish get to be large, and your BGK will get huge, I hope you have or plan to have a monster tank. You can feed them any of the frozen freshwater foods, my angels eat anything I put in the tank, frozen mysis shrimp and blood worms. I think your BGK will love the blood worms then when he's bigger switch to full size worms. To breed a type of food I would use a 10 gallon and buy a bunch of ghost shrimp and then let them do what they do, your fish should love the ghost shrimp, but maybe not the angels until they're full grown, I have amanos in my tank and my angel couldn't care less about them.

Zimmanski said:
All of your fish get to be large, and your BGK will get huge, I hope you have or plan to have a monster tank. You can feed them any of the frozen freshwater foods, my angels eat anything I put in the tank, frozen mysis shrimp and blood worms. I think your BGK will love the blood worms then when he's bigger switch to full size worms. To breed a type of food I would use a 10 gallon and buy a bunch of ghost shrimp and then let them do what they do, your fish should love the ghost shrimp, but maybe not the angels until they're full grown, I have amanos in my tank and my angel couldn't care less about them.

Edit: just read your profile, a 55g is good for when these fish are small but knife fish are pretty rigid so you should have a tank that's 1.5x the fish length to turn around in and I think people say 3x for the length of the tank

What sort of filtration for the ghost shrimp and how fast do they multiply?

Just FYI- ghost shrimp need brackish water to breed!
A simple HOB or sponge filter is fine for ghost shrimp, their bioload is almost non-existent

Morgie said:
Just FYI- ghost shrimp need brackish water to breed!
A simple HOB or sponge filter is fine for ghost shrimp, their bioload is almost non-existent

Ahh yes, I did forget about that. Anyway that shouldn't be an issue if you're making a food breeding only tank, RCS are good too but would be more expensive to start up.

Like morgie said a DIY sponge filter would be great or if you have a spare hob already all you'd need to do is add a sponge prefilter, aquaclear filter foam works great for this and is super cheap for a box

Zimmanski said:
Ahh yes, I did forget about that. Anyway that shouldn't be an issue if you're making a food breeding only tank, RCS are good too but would be more expensive to start up.

Like morgie said a DIY sponge filter would be great or if you have a spare hob already all you'd need to do is add a sponge prefilter, aquaclear filter foam works great for this and is super cheap for a box

Hmm that explains why I've never had any babies.... I've seen them with eggs a lot but never babies.

Is a 2.5 gallon too small for reading ghost shrimp or should I get a ten gallon?

jetajockey said:
Just keep them alive and happy and you'll have fry.

Oh ok. I might have to try that because my Ghost shrimp haven't been breeding obviously because theyre in freshwater but if I got rcs they would probably breed. My GS constantly have eggs.

vanimal said:
Oh ok. I might have to try that because my Ghost shrimp haven't been breeding obviously because theyre in freshwater but if I got rcs they would probably breed. My GS constantly have eggs.

Ghost/glass/grass shrimp encompass a huge list of different shrimp species. Many are totally fw, many are not, so it's hard to generalize.

I know a lot of people all over the internet say they need brackish but I think in most cases it's just a repetition. I've found "ghost " shrimp from miles inland to full marine conditions.

How nutritious are the shrimp to my fish? I don't want to be starving them from certain nutrition if I'm only feeding them shrimp. Do you recommend only feeding them shrimp or should I feed them shrimp every so often, like a treat?

giffmastaflex said:
How nutritious are the shrimp to my fish? I don't want to be starving them from certain nutrition if I'm only feeding them shrimp. Do you recommend only feeding them shrimp or should I feed them shrimp every so often, like a treat?

You won't be getting enough shrimp for everyday so just as a treat.

Back
Top Bottom