Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-26-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What to feed and how to initiate hand feeding

I just started using nls 2mm sinking pellets and algae waffersand i feed as a snack freeze dried bloodworms. Sound ok? How and what do I do to hand feed?

Old 08-26-2011, 11:39 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What species are you working with?

75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have glofish that swim around my hand when I put it in. I have angels and soon to be adding my loaches from my qt. Oh and a couple gourami.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:45 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I doubt you'll get the loaches to come up for hand feeding, but it's possible with the other species, although glofish are too small to be eating anything other than really small pellets.

I only hand feed my blood parrots. It was simply a matter of getting them used to my hand in the tank, then holding onto the tip of the pellet. Just like with a dog, I wouldn't release the pellet unless the fish grasped it gently enough. They caught on quickly.

The only downsize is that every time you have your hands in the tank, the fish will expect you are there only to feed them. It can actually get to be a hassle sometimes, so I don't handfeed as much anymore.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
Old 08-26-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I think Im going to try this. My Blood Parrot is my favorite of all my fish he is fatter than all the others..Sometimes I put just a few flakes above his head just for him or the freeze dried baby shirmp. from Tetra just above his head just for him..He seems to watch me anytime Im near the tank and follow me back and forth..Watching me all day..
Old 08-26-2011, 01:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB View Post
I doubt you'll get the loaches to come up for hand feeding, but it's possible with the other species, although glofish are too small to be eating anything other than really small pellets.

I only hand feed my blood parrots. It was simply a matter of getting them used to my hand in the tank, then holding onto the tip of the pellet. Just like with a dog, I wouldn't release the pellet unless the fish grasped it gently enough. They caught on quickly.

The only downsize is that every time you have your hands in the tank, the fish will expect you are there only to feed them. It can actually get to be a hassle sometimes, so I don't handfeed as much anymore.
has your blood parrot ever nipped at your arms? I accidently cornnered mine one day moving stuff at the bottom of the tank and he nipped my arm..I dont think they have teeth though..It just really suprised me..
Old 08-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not just anywhere on my arm, I have one mole/freckle that must resemble a flake of food or pellet....
Old 08-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

For most fish, I just wait until they get used to my hand moving over the water while feeding/water changes. Then they'll usually come if I hold a flake and keep very still

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB View Post
My fish think it's feeding time anytime I walk by or open the stand door haha. I have to creep up to the tank to observe them, or they'll all go to the top for food.

--Adeeb
adeebm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:32 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

My angels are the only ones that would ever feed from my hand and I just picked out the biggest flakes that they would nip at then eventually they got brave enough to eat the whole flake etc. As LyndaB. (Goddess of patience and wisdom said, it became a shoving match everytime I had to put my hands in the tank so I stopped as well.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:52 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBob View Post
LyndaB. (Goddess of patience and wisdom )

Oh, I am SO liking my new title......

Tags
feed, feeding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com