What to feed and how to initiate hand feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

somethingsfishy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just started using nls 2mm sinking pellets and algae waffersand i feed as a snack freeze dried bloodworms. Sound ok? How and what do I do to hand feed?

I have glofish that swim around my hand when I put it in. I have angels and soon to be adding my loaches from my qt. Oh and a couple gourami.

I doubt you'll get the loaches to come up for hand feeding, but it's possible with the other species, although glofish are too small to be eating anything other than really small pellets.

I only hand feed my blood parrots. It was simply a matter of getting them used to my hand in the tank, then holding onto the tip of the pellet. Just like with a dog, I wouldn't release the pellet unless the fish grasped it gently enough. They caught on quickly.

The only downsize is that every time you have your hands in the tank, the fish will expect you are there only to feed them. It can actually get to be a hassle sometimes, so I don't handfeed as much anymore.

I think Im going to try this. My Blood Parrot is my favorite of all my fish he is fatter than all the others..Sometimes I put just a few flakes above his head just for him or the freeze dried baby shirmp. from Tetra just above his head just for him..He seems to watch me anytime Im near the tank and follow me back and forth..Watching me all day..
:fish2:

I doubt you'll get the loaches to come up for hand feeding, but it's possible with the other species, although glofish are too small to be eating anything other than really small pellets.

I only hand feed my blood parrots. It was simply a matter of getting them used to my hand in the tank, then holding onto the tip of the pellet. Just like with a dog, I wouldn't release the pellet unless the fish grasped it gently enough. They caught on quickly.

The only downsize is that every time you have your hands in the tank, the fish will expect you are there only to feed them. It can actually get to be a hassle sometimes, so I don't handfeed as much anymore.

has your blood parrot ever nipped at your arms? I accidently cornnered mine one day moving stuff at the bottom of the tank and he nipped my arm..I dont think they have teeth though..It just really suprised me..

Not just anywhere on my arm, I have one mole/freckle that must resemble a flake of food or pellet.... :rolleyes:

For most fish, I just wait until they get used to my hand moving over the water while feeding/water changes. Then they'll usually come if I hold a flake and keep very still :)

My fish think it's feeding time anytime I walk by or open the stand door haha. I have to creep up to the tank to observe them, or they'll all go to the top for food.

--Adeeb

My angels are the only ones that would ever feed from my hand and I just picked out the biggest flakes that they would nip at then eventually they got brave enough to eat the whole flake etc. As LyndaB. (Goddess of patience and wisdom ;) said, it became a shoving match everytime I had to put my hands in the tank so I stopped as well.

Back
Top Bottom