what to feed bamboo shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Paulcm10 said:
Oh ok so I can add them right away? :)

Well once the tank is cycled you can, you'll have to give them an algae wafer or something to eat since there won't be anything to eat yet naturally in the tank. When I had my RCS tank I had ~100, I fed every couple of days or so. And when I started it it was a brand new tank with 20 RCS in it. So its doable:)

Btw, are you going to have live plants? Shrimp LOVE live plants, and they'll help with water quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I guess I wasn't clear. My tank is cycled. And I do have plants and yah I will get some of the algae wafers :). How many RCS can I have in a 20g tank?

Paulcm10 said:
Oh I guess I wasn't clear. My tank is cycled. And I do have plants and yah I will get some of the algae wafers :). How many RCS can I have in a 20g tank?

Okay great! :) as many as you want to buy, they'll reproduce easily. I'd probably put 30 to start off.

Yah sorry if wasn't clear about my tank being cycled lol.
So does this mean I can have a bamboo in there too? Or wait? :p

Paulcm10 said:
Yah sorry if wasn't clear about my tank being cycled lol.

Haha its all good:) and no, no bamboo shrimp yet, like LyndaB said, wait at least 6 months, you should have no problem then:)

+1

I have a bamboo shrimp and absolutely adore him. There are many species that require established tanks and, in my opinion, the bamboo shrimp is one of them.

Why risk it? Wait 6 months.
^ I agree.

I'd recommend lots of live plants as well. They are definitely going to do better in a planted tank. You'll want to keep an eye on them and supplement them if they are spending much time picking at the substrate with their fans. Well fed bamboo shrimp will spend the majority of their time in filtering position. They need a strong flow from the filter and a good spot to filter from that flow. Good supplements for them include liquid phyto/zooplankton, OSI Invertebrate Microfood, ground spirulina wafers/flakes, microworms, bbs, and in a pinch liquid or powder fry food.

Sigh.......

I hope you're reading all the posts and not just skimming them. Please go back and read about why you cannot have the bamboo shrimp yet.

I know it's hard to contain your excitement level but don't let that carry over into making unwise or rushed stocking decisions. We'd hate to see your tank crash and burn because you ran out of patience. :flowers:

Oh yah I read them all and 00youknowit00 didn't know that my tank is already cycled. So I thought everyone else misunderstood that my tank is already cycled.
So then when I said its cycled his reply was great and I can get RCS. Therefor I thought I can also have bamboo shrimp. Lol

I have never seen a bamboo shrimp thrive in a new tank. Not to say that it is impossible, but it will take extra efforts to pull it off. They really are more suited to well established tanks that have had time to mature.

Bamboo shrimp are filter feeder's, so the eat stuff we can't see in the water, in a, very established tank. That being said, I wouldn't put one in a newly established tank..

Given that they filter feed I believe that the assumption is that a new tank will not have the microorganisms in the water column it would need to eat

In case you missed the above.......

What? You don't retain every single post we make? :lol:

It's easy to let the excitement level build to such a level that you forget about reality for a while.....

Its not that. I just forget sometimes haha.
And I agree. I've been waiting for my tank to cycle for about 3 months now. So by then my patience has ran out! Haha

Back
Top Bottom