What to feed praecox rainbows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Perentie1

Aquarium Advice Regular
My rainbows are still fairly new, and they've been mainly at mid to bottom level. What do I feed them? Sinking pellets or will they eventually come to the surface?
Right now what I have are bloodworms and shrimp pellets and some lettuce. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Mine generally stayed very close to the center of the tank, water level wise. And they will eat ANYTHING. Mine ate frozen everything, flakes, pellets, algae wafers, freeze dried everything.... The only thing mine DIDNT eat was frozen zucchini.

i just threw in some bloodworms, and gonna see if they eat if overnight or something. do i get sinking pellets or flakes or something?

They could be stressed. Mine eat flakes, shrimp, bloodworms. They are mid tank swimmers primarily but when it's feeding time they are the first to the top.

Lower the lighting if you can, if not put your room light on and your tank light off , subdued lighting will help stress........

It's been a day now, if they didn't eat anything I'm gonna be worried. If they didn't touch the worms, what should I do.

A day, or even several, is not a big deal. They are new fish and stressed, and stressed fish don't eat. Give them time to settle in and you'll see them rise higher in the water and start eating. Mine ate NLS pellets.

I put in some bloodworms, and I watched this time. They ate it really fast, so I think they're good now :). I just put in my rainbow shark with them. It's a 50 gal.

Any experts know why one of my females is fat and not eating. I am moving her to a quarantine tank now.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I wouldn't worry about the shark at all - they occupy completely different regions of the tank.

??? Lol. I made a small temporary cave for him, and it took a while but he found it. :) gonna put his log or a bigger cave in for him. Would shrimp pellets also work for them?

I've not seen a high quality shrimp pellet - I have seen many wheat and soy shrimp pellets though. Your fish will all do well on a high quality staple food like NLS. With Antarctic krill as their top ingredient, there's nothing worth while in the shrimp pellets that would warrant feeding them over the NLS.

Back
Top Bottom