What to keep with my tetras in a 46???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottS

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm waiting to make sure my ich is gone for another week. If it is, I'm moving my Cardinal Tetras and Colombian Tetras from my 20 to a 46.

The tank is going to have a black background and black sand to show off the fishes colors better. So what's a decent sized fish that doesn't require a large school that would complement these guys?

Obviously the Cardinals and Colombians have a nice red and blue theme going on. I thought a few silver dollars might be nice, but they seem so timid at the shop and I know they spook easy, do better in schools and grow large. A pair of Angels might terrorize the small Cardinals. Don't know if I could maintain the water well enough for Discus. Maybe a RTBS or rainbow shark? Other ideas? Back to the idea of 3 Silver Dollars? :eyes:

I'd go with either rainbowfish (they like to school though) or one (or two) gouramies, I like pearls and they'd look great with the blue/red theme IMO.

When I first set the the 20 up with Cardinals 5 years ago, I also had two Pearls and the one was relentless toward the other and actually killed it. So that was an idea I had at one time.

The Dwarf Neon Rainbow fish are an excellent fit color-wise, but sizewise, they won't stand out with the Colombians

I think angelfish would be nice. IME they only really war with each other. :) And if you grow them up together they may get along for a very long time. I had six that did fine together for 2 years before I had to move and give them away.

A trio of Rams or other Apistos would add a colorful non-schooling fish and are generally a little more peaceful than angels (which can and will eat small cardinals if large enough). Silver dollars might work if the tank is unplanted, but they are skittish and get on the large side. I don't think a proper school could be housed in a 3' tank personally (they'd need more than 3 of them to feel secure).

A trio of Rams or other Apistos would add a colorful non-schooling fish and are generally a little more peaceful than angels (which can and will eat small cardinals if large enough). Silver dollars might work if the tank is unplanted, but they are skittish and get on the large side. I don't think a proper school could be housed in a 3' tank personally (they'd need more than 3 of them to feel secure).

Very nice suggestion.....I should have added that you would want to get your angel very very small and grow them up in that tank....my angels never touched any other fish but when I got them they were the smallest fish in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom