What to look for in fish food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liggs17

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was just wondering if anyone had information regarding the qualitative aspects of fish food. For example, I know that my TetraMin flakes have 46% crude protein and 6% fiber, but how do I know that these are good statistics? Are there any websites or articles that describe what nutritional values should be? I know a lot depend on the natural diet of the particular fish, but how do I figure out what is good (special attention on the crude fiber, moisture, and ash statistics)?

I know this is a very general question, but any answers would be welcome.

Liggs

That is true, but I don't have the time nor the money to feed my fish solely live foods. I've also read that while live foods are great for fish, many of them lack nutrients that the fish would get in the from varied sources in the wild. Thus, my original question regarding human-made foods.

Liggs

Omega One makes several varieties of high quality flake food, I feed the veggie flakes and color enhancing flakes and my fish love them. I feed my plecos the Omega One algae wafers and they really like them. Oh yeah, I use their floating cichlid pellets too. I guess I sound like an Omega One ad but it's the easiest high quality food to find around here. I don't see fish meal listed on the ingredients. :D

I appreciate all of the responses. Fish Surgeon, I do realize that a similar thread was discussed down the list (I noticed it after my posting), but I was hoping someone had knowledge of a site that discussed the pros and cons of various percentages of ingredients. "High Quality" fish food is an arbitrary designation that any producer of food can slap on as a label.....I am specifically interested if anyone knows what effect the various percentages of moisture, ash, phosphorus, and crude fiber have with regards to the nutrition.

Liggs

Back
Top Bottom