What to look for when buying used tank online/ebay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sealife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My obsession in fish and aquariums has lead me into looking for a larger tank.
I have found some very cheap tanks online at ebay, but its used. What kind of stuff should I look for and what questions should I ask, when I inspect it? I dont want the tank to fall apart or crack or stand to rot etc etc...

Looking at 4 foot and 5 foot tanks.

Thanks guys.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Always ask that the tank be full of water when coming. If they refuse walk away.

Thanks. Thats a good point.
Anything else?

Depends on the price. If it's a great deal and it's extremely inconvenient people will let you walk, I would.

If the deal is good enough ask the people if it leaks, surprisingly, not many people lie when asked a straight question. Evaluate their answer, evaluate the people and if the deal is good enough, go for it. Ask for extras as a concession.

Set the aquarium up outside and check for leaks, if there is a leak remove the water and fix it. Not that big a deal

All depends on the deal

MeCasa

Hmmmmm, im starting to get scared buying second hand now lol I can buy a brand new 4 foot tank (195 litres) with plain pine wood stand for $200 aus. But on ebay I found 5 foot tank (430 litres) with thick solid wood lacquered cabinet and canister filter for $250 aus...
What to do, what to do...

I bought my 55 gallon tank and really nice home made stand for 50 bucks used. Not a problem at all with it. The guy was a little sketchy and by sketchy I mean full blown crack head.
He was super great to deal with though. He sent me lots of pictures when I asked for them and answered all of my questions without beating around the bush. Right away I asked him if it had any leaks and he said absolutely not. I asked if he would take it back if I did find anything wrong with it and he guaranteed it. So I guess go with your gut feeling! Theres really no guarantees with what you get when buying anything used, but if its a good deal and it feels right go for it!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Keep in mind your on a forum where people ask for humane way to dispose of snail eggs :hide:

:ROFLMAO:

Personally I wouldn't consider buying a used glass tank without a very careful inspection.
An acrylic tank would be a safer bet all around. The worst would be dealing with scratches, but they can be dealt with in acrylic a LOT easier than in glass.
Plus with acrylic's inherent strength over glass, less chance of some "unseen" flaw, and no silicone seals to be concerned with.
The biggest caveat to buying a used acrylic is buffing out the scratches. :(

Seeing water in the tank is preferable, a careful inspection is a must.

And scratches are a deal breaker

The bigger the tank the bigger the savings on a used tank. On a 5' tank the savings are substantial

And scratches are a deal breaker

For me it would depend on the price relative to the amount of work involved to remove them.
If a couple of hours of applied elbow grease can save a hundred bucks or more, why not?

Plus I imagine that buying a used acrylic, some scratches are to be expected.
My tank looks like it was in a war zone thanks to an undulated trigger that liked to pile all the rock against the front. :blink:

Back
Top Bottom