What to put in a 1g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You might want to look into red cherry shrimp, snails and lowlight plants, if the tank is already properly cycled. Most fish need much more room than one gallon, even guppies.

My guppy in my 1g died:( I was wondering what can I put in a 1g? Something small, of course, and nice to look at. It is on my side table in the bedroom.

Snails? Other than that, nothing really. I've got bottles of pop bigger than that! , my *filter* is several times that!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok no prob, I figured as much. It is just sitting on my nightstand running right now lol. Kinda sad to look and not see my guppy. It was in there because it was a rescue from the feeders for my oscars lol and was too small to go with my Mollies

I have bigger aquariums and know a lot about them. Was just curious about a 1g. Never had a 1g and dont really know why they have them if nothing can really go in them.

I am prob just going to use it for live plants and see how it works out. It was originally for my 2 year old and was told a Betta could be in it, but I thought that was cruel and knew it wasnt a good idea.

Please think about getting a larger aquarium and learning more about fish keeping.
I dont think that was an appropriate response. We dont put people down on this site. If you have constructive advice, please post that. Simply telling somebody to learn more about fishkeeping only discourages those who wish to learn.

I dont think that was an appropriate response. We dont put people down on this site. If you have constructive advice, please post that. Simply telling somebody to learn more about fishkeeping only discourages those who wish to learn.

Thank you, I was really offended by what he said. I have been keeping fish for about 10 years or so and still learn stuff as I go.

But I mean, why would they make a 1g if nothing can go in it? lol

I agree that it's too small for most critters.

A 1G is the perfect size to start a live feed culture though! :) Daphnia, gammarus shrimp, brine hatchery, etc.

Yeah I dunno, it may just turn into a pretty tank lol Even if it just has fake colorful plants lol MAYBE one TINY snail lol a trumpet snail (I know they reproduce FAST lol. The sound of the waterfall (filter really lol) is soothing.

Yeah I would think so, but I am getting mixed reviews. People say no to 2 Guppies, so a betta would be too big, but yet I see them in small things all the time. Someone on the other forum I am in says endlers? What do you think?

I dunno... I think a betta is perfectly fine in a one gallon. I know most would disagree but... bettas arent very active fish. They dont need a lot of room to go up and down or side to side... they're pretty stagnant (even if they are in a 20gallon tank like mine!)...
Besides that, any betta would be much happier in an established 1gallon than they would in those horrible tiny containers they come in :-(

yep a betta is fine in a 1gallon. i myself keep tons of betta in 1gallon jar.
i also use 1 gallon to grow java moss, and also house berried shrimp and small fish fry from guppy to platy.

Betta are not "fine" in a 1G tank IMO.

If you think they are inactive, put them in a planted 10 and watch. I'd be inactive too in a cup or a pickle jar. Just sayin...

Back
Top Bottom