Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-27-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

What to put in Fluval Chi.

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum, and relatively new to fish. I have been keeping and breeding reptiles for several years now, and decided I would like to get a nice fish tank. The only aquatic tank I have at the moment is a 95gl with a young snapping turtle in it. Since I have a ton of reptile cages taking up most of my space I wanted to get something compact, but nicer than just a 10gl, so I believe I am going with the Fluval Chi.

While I don't know much about fish I do know there isn't a whole lot you can put in a tank that small. I know I want it to be heavily planted. Also I would love to have an eel, but the only ones I have read about are way to big for a tank that size. Are there any eels that stay small enough? If not then I might just go with shrimp unless someone can tell me some cool or unusual fish that would do good in it (and not be do costly.) Thanks in advance.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by twillis10
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum, and relatively new to fish. I have been keeping and breeding reptiles for several years now, and decided I would like to get a nice fish tank. The only aquatic tank I have at the moment is a 95gl with a young snapping turtle in it. Since I have a ton of reptile cages taking up most of my space I wanted to get something compact, but nicer than just a 10gl, so I believe I am going with the Fluval Chi.

While I don't know much about fish I do know there isn't a whole lot you can put in a tank that small. I know I want it to be heavily planted. Also I would love to have an eel, but the only ones I have read about are way to big for a tank that size. Are there any eels that stay small enough? If not then I might just go with shrimp unless someone can tell me some cool or unusual fish that would do good in it (and not be do costly.) Thanks in advance.
Hi and welcome! How big is the Chi? You may be able to keep Betta. Are you aware of how to cycle a new tank?

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:34 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to QuietPlotter
Mumma, I believe the Chi was 5 or 6 gallons, not too sure though.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

They make a 5 and a 6.6g. I (personally) think you could do a betta.
1.0 JD (JD Club #1!)
6.9 Guppies
0.0.1 Normal Ball Python
KonvictKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also, there is no eel that could be done in a tank that size. The smallest is the Zig Zag Yellowtail, which still gets like 10".
1.0 JD (JD Club #1!)
6.9 Guppies
0.0.1 Normal Ball Python
KonvictKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for the responses. I figured an eel would be to large, and not a huge betta fan. Any suggestions for hardy shrimp or plants?
Old 11-28-2011, 12:51 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

to AA!

Fluval Chis are 5 gallons and more tall horizontally, to anyone who was wondering.

IMO a schooll of chilli rasboras may work.

RCS, CRS, ghost, yellow, mandarin, and tawain blue shrimp are all good.

What plants you do depends on your lights, what kind do you have?
Old 11-28-2011, 01:07 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to the site! Because of the shape of the Chi, options for it are really limited. I think a school of chili rasboras is OK, but I wouldn't do anything larger. In addition you could do 1 scarlet badis as a CP fish, some dwarf shrimp, and a nerite snail.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:33 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonvictKeeper
Also, there is no eel that could be done in a tank that size. The smallest is the Zig Zag Yellowtail, which still gets like 10".
Actually, the peacock eel will only usually get to around 7-8". Regardless, neither would fit..
Old 11-28-2011, 09:56 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks guys. I think I may do a school of chilli rasboras with some shrimp. I haven't actually purchased the tank yet so I am not sure what kind of light it has, nor have I researched what Kind of plants I want. I dont have much experience with aquatic plants. I tried to plant my snapping turtles tank once, Im sure you can imagine how that turned out. I know it has a light but I will probly need to go with some low light plants. I would imagine I need to find some slow growing plants as well since its in a tank that small.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:30 AM   #11
Look It Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by twillis10 View Post
Thanks guys. I think I may do a school of chilli rasboras with some shrimp. I haven't actually purchased the tank yet so I am not sure what kind of light it has, nor have I researched what Kind of plants I want. I dont have much experience with aquatic plants. I tried to plant my snapping turtles tank once, Im sure you can imagine how that turned out. I know it has a light but I will probly need to go with some low light plants. I would imagine I need to find some slow growing plants as well since its in a tank that small.
Welcome! Read the link in my signature: new empty tank. You'll want to properly cycle the tank before adding fish. Good luck!
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:35 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Some type of loach? Like a kuhlie loach? Those guys are small, look a little like eels
Old 11-28-2011, 11:01 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEYtheFISH
Some type of loach? Like a kuhlie loach? Those guys are small, look a little like eels
True dat lol.

Is this 5 gallons? Sorry, i forgot
Old 11-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I believe they have a 5gl and 6.5gl. I usually see he 5gl in stores, but I'm will be getting the 6.5 if I can find it.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:09 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Loaches need stocked in groups of 5 or more. Neither chi is large enough for any loaches. IMO kuhli's need atleast a 10 gal, but some feel that footprint isn't large enough for them either.

Tags
chi, fluval, fluval chi, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com