What to put in my 33g...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamesrm

Aquarium Advice Freak
Alrighty,
I have a freshly cycled 33g aquarium just begging to have fish in. I have been debating semi aggressive or really pretty tropicals, like rainbows, and just can not make up my mind.

I saw a really pretty oscar at Walmart of all places, and actually am considering him. I know 33 gal is WAY undersized, but as he grows I can put him in a 125 to 150 that I have in storage for after my move.

Comments and suggestions please? :)

It's personal preference really. Oscars have loads of personality. I've seen oscars being hand-fed by their owners. If you haven't had a "wet pet" before, I'd suggest going with the Oscar.

Why not get the oscar? You can always have the "pretty" tropicals in the 33g after your move.

oscars are awesome! I have never owned one, but we had one at my middle school a long time ago, and he was the school mascot! he lived with 2 bosemarian rainbows, and he was the best fish, he did die though because some ediot kid unplugged the filter.....

Oscars are great!!!...mine had a lot of personality, and liked to be hand fed...my only complaint was that they loved to re-decorate

It should be fine for a while. Plus, getting the oscar would make you eventually bring that 150 gallon out of storage, which is always a good thing. Haha.

I kept a Tiger O in a 30gal for a few months. He came to about 4" when I moved him into a 90gal. He did pretty well in the 30. If you've got a bigger tank waiting, then go for it.

I hear all the stories of how Oscars are like having a water-bound dog and it just makes me want one. You guys are so freaking bad for my finances and my free space in the house!

-Pleco

Alright, the Oscar is looking like the winner. What do you feed yours? I look at that fish and look at flakes and just kind of think it would be like nothing to it.

Man, oscars eat a lot of stuff. Any good cichlid pellet will do, or you can also offer some live feeders if you want to. If you do go the flake route though, that's going to be a lot of flake.

You can put one of those floating ring toss pool toys on the surface and train the Oscar to jump through hoops for a fat nightcrawler. I can't remember where I read that, but it would be fun to try.

I would throw any unused bait in the tank when I got back from fishing ....they loooooved leeches

Back
Top Bottom