Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8
What to put with kuhli loaches?

Hey everyone so I'm new here and need some help stocking a 30 gallon tank. I just moved my african cichlids to my new 55 gallon tank after it cycled. I had 5 kuhli loaches and a clown pleco with them and those 6 fish will stay in the 30 gallon tank. I moved my cichlids because they were nipping at my loaches. What is a good schooling tropical fish that ca3n go in a 30 gallon tank and live with kuhli loaches ?
__________________

__________________
Gilligan1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligan1989 View Post
Hey everyone so I'm new here and need some help stocking a 30 gallon tank. I just moved my african cichlids to my new 55 gallon tank after it cycled. I had 5 kuhli loaches and a clown pleco with them and those 6 fish will stay in the 30 gallon tank. I moved my cichlids because they were nipping at my loaches. What is a good schooling tropical fish that ca3n go in a 30 gallon tank and live with kuhli loaches ?
Anything that isn't going to molest the Kuhli loaches. I guess you were already feeding them at night because of your African Cichlids. So that's good, they'll be used to it. Keep feeding them at night.

You can put almost anything with them as long as it's a peaceful fish. I wouldn't add any more bottom feeders though. You can add any of the following, and more:

Smaller tetra species (Try to avoid Serpaes they are a little nippy)
Smaller barb species (try to avoid Tiger barbs they can be nippy)
Gouramis (dwarves like colisa lalia (dwarf) or colisa chuna (honey))
small cichlids like blue rams or bolivian rams
Angelfish
Livebearers (Guppies, mollies, Platys, mosquito fish)
Shrimp (ie, Amano shrimp)
__________________

__________________
mistersprinkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8
Thank you very much for your reply. Yes I do feed them at night and I was not wanting them to get nipped anymore. So would say 8 cherry barbs do fine in there?
__________________
Gilligan1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligan1989 View Post
Thank you very much for your reply. Yes I do feed them at night and I was not wanting them to get nipped anymore. So would say 8 cherry barbs do fine in there?
Sure. You can get more than 8, if that's the only other thing going in there.
__________________
mistersprinkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8
Can cherry and gold barbs go together?
__________________
Gilligan1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:50 AM   #6
member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligan1989 View Post
Can cherry and gold barbs go together?
Yes they can but you may want to try Odessa barbs. A nice odessa barb is much more attractive than a gold barb.
__________________
mistersprinkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:44 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Aquaenthused's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersprinkles View Post
Yes they can but you may want to try Odessa barbs. A nice odessa barb is much more attractive than a gold barb.
Odessa barbs are not always easy to find- I saw 2 of them at one of my local pet chains with their assorted barbs for the first time in 3 years!!! Hopefully they get more in and continue to, I want a school of 10. Gold and cherry barbs look beautiful together. More good kuhli companions with a little flash- diamond tetra (do best in schools or 6 or more), copelandi tetra, red flame Von rios, celestial pearl danio, African DWARF- avoid African clawed frogs, blackberry shrimp, bamboo or Singapore flower shrimp, long finned purple and blue ocelot danio, blind cave tetra, you could probably even do a pair of electric blue ram with the right ditherers...
__________________
Aquaenthused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:15 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
twiddlemuffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaenthused View Post
Odessa barbs are not always easy to find- I saw 2 of them at one of my local pet chains with their assorted barbs for the first time in 3 years!!! Hopefully they get more in and continue to, I want a school of 10. Gold and cherry barbs look beautiful together. More good kuhli companions with a little flash- diamond tetra (do best in schools or 6 or more), copelandi tetra, red flame Von rios, celestial pearl danio, African DWARF- avoid African clawed frogs, blackberry shrimp, bamboo or Singapore flower shrimp, long finned purple and blue ocelot danio, blind cave tetra, you could probably even do a pair of electric blue ram with the right ditherers...
+1 or instead of the rams you could do apistos, or keyholes. You could also do a dwarf gourami or maybe a sparkling gourami.
__________________
twiddlemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:05 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8
Now if I got a few sparkling or dwarf gourami will they school together or do they fight at all? I already have african cichlids which are very active and aggressive and my wife wants something more peaceful (she hates fish chasing each other over territory) so is there any fish that are just completely peaceful? I've had african cichlids for years but am new to tropical fish
__________________
Gilligan1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Aquaenthused's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 210
Dwarf gourami- i.e- neon blue dwarf, sunset- are relatives of the betta, close ones at that, I compare them to paradise fish in my mind when I ask myself if I can keep them together... That being said, lol, it's horribly hit or miss, it truly depends on the fish. I see you own African cichlids so you can appreciate that comment, lol. I have found sororities sometimes work, males rarely work together unless you can keep a ratio of 3 to 1 (3 females per single male). As for sparkling gourami, I don't have enough experience with them to give you an accurate profile, though I hear they are highly sought by nanoscapers because of their community behavior. Hope that helps
__________________

__________________
Aquaenthused is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
kuhli, kuhli loach, loach, loaches

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.