what to put with loaches?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoenixphire55

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20 gallon long with three loaches in it. The goldfish is now gone (gave him to someone with a pond) so I'm wondering what else I could put in the tank. The only things I can think of are more loaches, and some cloud mountain minnows. Any suggestions? Give me some thoughts. I'm kind of tired or posting things on here and getting no / lack luster responses.

What kind of loach is it? Depending on the type of loach you can keep them with most other types of tropical fish.

*EDIT*
Skip that just saw that it was a dojo loach which is a cold water species. Any other cold water species would work. Also to warn you they need atleast a 30g and the bigger the better. Give me a little time to research, been needing to do this for my coldwater tank.

I really think my loaches are fine a 20 gallon. I may upgrade in a few months but I dont want a huge tank so 30 gallons would be the max. What are some other coldwater species? All I can think of are goldfish, cm minnows and dojo loaches.

Surprisingly hard to find species that are coldwater besides what you mention. And they do need a 30g minimum. Which a 30g is fine for a dojo loach. Dojo loaches can get 9 to 10 inches so that explains why they need a 30g+ since there active. The only other fish i can find and i only know because i want to breed them is hillstream loaches.

Thanks for the help. It does seem like there are very few fish that are good in coldwater tanks. I've been reading that several kinds of tetras and danios can be good in temperatures as low as the mid 60s, but my tank definitely gets colder than that. I guess cloud mountain minnows would be good.

As far as tank size...I don't mean to beat a dead horse or whatever but saying that loaches need a minimum of 30 gallons isn't necessarily true. My loaches are doing great in their tank. You act like they can't live in anything smaller than a 30 gallon tank, but do you even have any loaches? I don't mean to sound like a creep but repeating what you read on a website about loaches doesn't make it a fact, plus its annoying to tell someone that they need a bigger tank for their fish when they clearly weren't asking about that. My fish are each under 5 inches long. I do know that if my fish got to be 10 inches long, which is pretty unlikely from what I've seen and read, I will have to put them in an appropriately larger tank. But I was just asking about other species of coldwater fish. That's just my opinion and I've given this speech to more than one other person on this site.

As far as tank size...I don't mean to beat a dead horse or whatever but saying that loaches need a minimum of 30 gallons isn't necessarily true. My loaches are doing great in their tank. You act like they can't live in anything smaller than a 30 gallon tank, but do you even have any loaches? I don't mean to sound like a creep but repeating what you read on a website about loaches doesn't make it a fact, plus its annoying to tell someone that they need a bigger tank for their fish when they clearly weren't asking about that. My fish are each under 5 inches long. I do know that if my fish got to be 10 inches long, which is pretty unlikely from what I've seen and read, I will have to put them in an appropriately larger tank. But I was just asking about other species of coldwater fish. That's just my opinion and I've given this speech to more than one other person on this site.
The reason he mentioned that they need a bigger tank is because to live happy and reach their full potential, they need space. An oscar will fit in a 1 gallon bowl, but sure aint gonna live long. Now the difference between a 20g and 30g isnt that much, and im sure your fish are fine for now, but for fish to be happy and "thrive" they need adequate space. It may be annoying, but at least the people around here care about fish enough to warn of overstocking and undersized tanks. He meant nothing against you. You asked for advice and he gave it :)

Thanks for the help. It does seem like there are very few fish that are good in coldwater tanks. I've been reading that several kinds of tetras and danios can be good in temperatures as low as the mid 60s, but my tank definitely gets colder than that. I guess cloud mountain minnows would be good.

I am sorry if i sounded annoying. I think your fish will certainly be fine in the 20g, but it will eventually if healthy grow to around 8 to 10 inches and very active. So yes i do think a 30g is necessary eventually but your fish will be fine now. I am buying a Fire eel, which will need at least a 120g, but for now i am putting him in a 75g.

As for your question if i have ever owned loaches, Yes i most certainly have. I have owned MANY loach species. I have owned skunk, yoyo, kuhli, Dojo, Clown, botia, zebras, and now my newest loach adventure is certain hillstream loaches.

I did not mean to upset you and i am not trying to upset you. I did not say you did not know anything and did not think that i was being rude. Me and people on this site just want to make sure you knew all your info so no mistakes happen. Not saying you will make them but i know even pros mess up at times or forgot something. I know i have.

Now as you wanting to have ONLY your question awnsered you will probably never get that 100% of the time on any site, because forum sites are there not only to get your question awnsered, but they also are a disscussion site. Also most aquarium keepers like to make sure they dot there i's and cross there t's so to speak. So we just want to make sure everything is ok and you know all the info.

I have said my peace and if you want i will stop posing on this forum, just for you. The only other coldwater species i could find were danios and i would do a little research because i did not have much time last night to do alot of research on that statement.

Again sorry if i upset you in any way.

Back
Top Bottom