What to use to cover sides and back of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tommy10

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I need to cover the back and one side of my tank because on those sides my sailfin Molly sees his reflection and chess it up and down all day... What should I use to cover the sides. (I will not consider spray paint and I prefer black) thanks :)

Your LFS should have a film to cover your tank. I would try a dark cloth or paper before buying anything. You may find the light from the other side of the room is allowing your fish to see it's reflection. Good luck!

Last edited:
If you're considering a color other than black but a cheap roll of wrapping paper in that color and tape it to the back with painters tape (so it doesn't leave any bits behind) so you can see what it looks like for a few days first.

Or get different colors of construction paper and put a piece of each color your thinking about back there.

It will help you decide.

Putting a cover on the outside of the tank will not stop the reflection from happening... The reflection happens when the tank light is on and the room is darker than the tank. Try either turning off the tank light, or making the room brighter.

When the tank light is off the reflection goes away. So how can I make it so there's no reflection? While keeping the aquarium light on?

If you make the light in your room brighter than the light in the aquarium it will lower the reflection off the glass for the fish

Are you sure that will work? I don't want my room to be too light either.

Back
Top Bottom