What type of canister?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishBoy185

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay for my 75 gallon tank I wanna buy a canister but I dont know which one there is . There is Aquatop, Ehiem, fluval and marineland they all look like good canisters but I think I want the aquatop because it comes with a uv sterilizer but when I buy it online or in store it doesnt come with any filter media where can i buy filter media for an aquatop canister? I also want a canister with a spray bar and aquatop has that too.

Thanks in advance

-Brian

The Aquatop is a good filter if you are talking about the CF- model. Don't buy it because of the "UV sterilizer", it is mostly gimmick. The flow is way to great for the UV to be effective on anything except maybe free floating algae, and if you have green water you have issues that need to be addressed not a band-aid UV fix.
You can put whatever media you want in it, polyfill, foam pads, whatever.

If you decide on aquatop look at sunsun. It is the chinese variant and usually cheaper. Compare

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004GJ43EK/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1369604618&sr=8-1&pi=SL75
And
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00896IILA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1369604683&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

Just a reference as I am setting up a 75g planted and I bought the sunsun

The AquaTop CF- models ARE SunSun, they just rebrand them. But, you are correct, you can find them under the SunSun name for less.

I don't really recommend sunsun or aquartop as both r the same thing. Also, the parts r quite fragile and will break under too much pressure. The uv is useless as it is puny and cannot kill anything.
I recommend the fluval 406, marineland c-350, and the rena filstars.

I don't really recommend sunsun or aquartop as both r the same thing. Also, the parts r quite fragile and will break under too much pressure. The uv is useless as it is puny and cannot kill anything.
I recommend the fluval 406, marineland c-350, and the rena filstars.

I highly recommend fluvals or renas as well. I have both and are great, nice and quiet. Try to get a used one in good contain if your on a budget. Craigslist is full of canister filters, just make sure you get one with GPH at least double the tank size. There is no such thing as over filtering.

I highly recommend fluvals or renas as well. I have both and are great, nice and quiet. Try to get a used one in good contain if your on a budget. Craigslist is full of canister filters, just make sure you get one with GPH at least double the tank size. There is no such thing as over filtering.

+1 for looking on Craigslist . I found a fluval 406 for $50 before and had all media with it too.

I don't really recommend sunsun or aquartop as both r the same thing. Also, the parts r quite fragile and will break under too much pressure.
Bah, simply untrue. I have two SunSun canisters, a 303 and a 304, both are solid and have no "fragility" issues at all. Nearly two years on each and have not replaced a single critical part including O-rings.

The uv is useless as it is puny and cannot kill anything.
True, but I already pointed that out.

It's amazing how we bicker over filters and back in the day they made tremendous water changes daily lol

It's amazing how we bicker over filters and back in the day they made tremendous water changes daily lol

LOL! I wasn't bickering, just calling BS when I see it. Buy and use what you want, I don't care. Fluval and Rena are great filters. If you want better get an Eheim.

LOL! I wasn't bickering, just calling BS when I see it. Buy and use what you want, I don't care. Fluval and Rena are great filters. If you want better get an Eheim.

That wasn't directed at you specifically lol and I've never tried an eheim but always hear good things. Sometimes I wish I had HOB's but I feel like canisters do a better job with lower maintenance.

If u get eheim, don't get the pro 3. Get classic. The pro 3 has many problems. Especially leaking. The classics r really good too.

Back
Top Bottom