What type of goldfish should I get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Armadillo Dream

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey!! This is my first post so I may be a bit wobbly! :)
I'm wondering what the best type of goldfish I should get is! My tank is 28 litres and I am using a sand substrate! I want a clever, friendly fish that I can teach certain things (if I get the R2 Fish School kit) which is preferably peppersalt coloured! Also, not too big because I want it to grow up in my tank!!
:thanks:
:fish1:

Welcome to the site!
Are you open to other varieties of fish other than goldfish? You tank is a fair nit smaller than what is usually suggested for a single goldy since they get so large. If you open to different fish, I would suggest a betta. They are quite friendly and usually full of personality. I have seen people teach them things as well.

Thanks so much for the advice!! Maybe I will consider a Betta then!! But, one of my friends had one and she said that it was quite vicious and bit her when she put her hands in the tank for water changes (she may be lying?!). Here's pictures of my old fantails to give you a bit of an idea of what I'm after! :) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410125370.093796.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410125403.394904.jpg
This was in my old tank with a different substrate and ornaments!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410125455.563766.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have kept a bunch of bettas, and I have never had one bite me. Even if they did, they are pretty petite so it wouldn't hurt you.
Those are some great pics of your goldies! The thing with goldifsh is that the thrive, they really need some space. Generally speaking, about 20g (75.7 liters) is usually the advised minimum. There really aren't any more petite varieties of goldy that can thrive for a lifetime in a 28 liter tank unfortunately. That is why I suggest looking elsewhere for a different species for now, and then looking into a fancy goldy when you can give it a bit more space.

It doesn't actually hurt it more tickles than anything.

They're just wanting food

I have kept a bunch of bettas, and I have never had one bite me. Even if they did, they are pretty petite so it wouldn't hurt you.
Those are some great pics of your goldies! The thing with goldifsh is that the thrive, they really need some space. Generally speaking, about 20g (75.7 liters) is usually the advised minimum. There really aren't any more petite varieties of goldy that can thrive for a lifetime in a 28 liter tank unfortunately. That is why I suggest looking elsewhere for a different species for now, and then looking into a fancy goldy when you can give it a bit more space.

Thanks!! I might look into bettas then! Or I might save up some money and invest in a really nice big tank and then give my old one to my bro. It's just that the person at the pet shop said I could have up to 5 goldies in it! I got to 2 and thought, hang on, it's getting a bit cramped in here! So I stopped getting more fish! Do you think platys will be trainable and will they fit if I got 2?

Rule 1 of fish keeping: Beware of what the person at the fish store says. :)
Do you currently have any fish in there? Or, are the 2 you bough gone now?

Rule 1 of fish keeping: Beware of what the person at the fish store says. :)
Do you currently have any fish in there? Or, are the 2 you bough gone now?

I have no fish in there x all of them have died (over 5 months ago) I'm planning on starting the water cycle up soon so that I can get fish by christmas! I'm planning on feeding the new fish bloodworm and spinach along with sinking pellets! I also had a problem with over feeding bcoz I was using flakes xxx

Do you think it would be ok if I got only 1 goldfish - like a ranchu or an oranda because I really love goldfish xxxx hopefully I will be able to get a bigger tank soon!!

Do you think it would be ok if I got only 1 goldfish - like a ranchu or an oranda because I really love goldfish xxxx hopefully I will be able to get a bigger tank soon!!

A 28l/7g tank is honestly not suitable for even a single goldfish. 20g is the bare minimum for a juvenile goldfish. The suggestion of a betta for this tank is a great one! I would wait on a goldfish until you are able to comfortably house one. :)

A 28l/7g tank is honestly not suitable for even a single goldfish. 20g is the bare minimum for a juvenile goldfish. The suggestion of a betta for this tank is a great one! I would wait on a goldfish until you are able to comfortably house one. :)

Ok :) thanks :) will post more soon

Apologies for taking a couple days to get back to you. I fully agree with jlk about your tank size. You can pick up a 20g cheaply enough, I would wait for a goldy until you have a good spot to keep one. In the meantime, look into nano fish. You might find something you like more than you thought you would. :)

Reactions: jlk
Back
Top Bottom