What type of heater do i need ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishy_lover

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want a dwarf puffer fish ( just one ) and I'm getting a 5.5 gallon tank for it , and I was wondering what heater I need and how many watts it should be , please help I really need to know

A heater for a 10 gallon tank will work well. You can find Tetra brand heaters for tanks that small, but it is not adjustable, and has a set temp of about 78F (+/- 2F). Eheim makes good heaters (I use Jager heaters in my SW tank), as does Aqueon (their Pro heaters are what I use in my FW tanks).

The smallest Aqueon Pro is 50 watts, good for tanks less than 20 gallons. They also have "mini heater" that doesn't appear to be adjustable (Aqueon » Mini Heater | Products).

Eheim has an adjustable 25 watt heater for smaller tanks. Products has info (click "technical data" tab for more info). They run around $25 (see Eheim JAGER TruTemp Aquarium Heater - Bulk Reef Supply for one place that sells them).

A heater for a 10 gallon tank will work well. You can find Tetra brand heaters for tanks that small, but it is not adjustable, and has a set temp of about 78F (+/- 2F). Eheim makes good heaters (I use Jager heaters in my SW tank), as does Aqueon (their Pro heaters are what I use in my FW tanks).

The smallest Aqueon Pro is 50 watts, good for tanks less than 20 gallons. They also have "mini heater" that doesn't appear to be adjustable (Aqueon » Mini Heater | Products).

Eheim has an adjustable 25 watt heater for smaller tanks. Products has info (click "technical data" tab for more info). They run around $25 (see Eheim JAGER TruTemp Aquarium Heater - Bulk Reef Supply for one place that sells them).

Would a 25 watt get a 5.5 gallon to 80 degrees ?

Based on the specs for the Eheim Jager, I would say that it would get the 5.5 gallons up to 80.

Yeah, you should get a 25 watt for a 5.5 gallon, you can get up to a 50 watt without any issues. Make sure it's adjustable though, preset heaters tend to only keep the water at 76/78*
Practically any brand will work just fine. I like hydor theo's because they don't break if you run them out of water accidentally, which I have a very bad habit of doing. I use them on every tank and haven't had any issues at all with any

Last edited:
+1 on the Hydor Theo 25w. It's the smallest and most reliable heater i can find that has an adjustable thermostat. I use one in my 6g.

They are pretty cheap on amazon, I got my 100w for like 24, can't remember what I paid for the rest, the 100 was the most recent

They are pretty cheap on amazon, I got my 100w for like 24, can't remember what I paid for the rest, the 100 was the most recent

Oh cool , I found one that 20 dollars at my local petstore

Back
Top Bottom