What type of platy is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish_fiend

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a new platy for my tank and I'm pretty sure she was labeled wrong at the pet shop. They said she was a sun burst but looks nothing like one. Help please?

image-4268080494.jpg

Sweet! I'll post another picture when she gets a little bigger. Thank you!

Hello Fish...

Doesn't look like any I've seen. Possibly a hybrid of some kind. I've heard of Dalmation Platys, like Dalmation Mollies. Doesn't matter, it looks like a nice, healthy fish. I keep "Livebearers" too. They're fast breeders in pure water conditions. So, keep the water clean with lots of frequent, large water changes. It wouldn't hurt to add a bit of standard aquarium salt to the new, treated tap water. A teaspoon for every 5 gallons should do. My fish seem to prefer it. Just a suggestion though. You're the "chief water keeper".

B

It does look like a Dalmatian Platys. Lucky you! They tend to be more expensive than the sunbursts, so if she was mislabeled, you probably got a good deal.

Theres orange on the tail so it probably is a sunburst that hasnt colored up. Pretty fish
It looks more orange in this picture but in person it's more of a red and her cheeks are pinky red as well. Its puzzling hah I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Thanks!

It looks like a variatus platy. I had 2 high fin variatus platies that look just like that. They are quite beautiful. :)

Back
Top Bottom