What type of sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm setting up a 220g tank that's going to be a Amazon biotope and am not sure what product to use as sand. I know that the sand in the Amazon is pretty fine but I don't want it to be super fine grain. I also don't want to spend a fortune on it. What are some good things I could use?

I'll have geophagus in the tank so they need to be able to sift it.

Play sand as Gillie said, put it in an old pillow case and leave the hose on, get your hands in and move it about till it runs clear........

I would skip the play sand and use pool filter sand. The play sand is way way way way dirtier than pool filter sand.

Black diamond blasting sand is also an option. I got 100 pounds from Tractor Supply for $20 even.

It will take some rinsing but that price is much better than any aquarium substrate.

Caleb

Black diamond blasting sand is also an option. I got 100 pounds from Tractor Supply for $20 even.

It will take some rinsing but that price is much better than any aquarium substrate.

Caleb
The only problem with black diamond is that its not sifter friendly

The only problem with black diamond is that its not sifter friendly

Why are you sifting it...During the first wash? I just put some in a 5 gallon bucket and rinsed it until all the crap washed off, this also gave me a chance to let the lighter particles flow off the top so they aren't floating in my tank/filter. Tank was nearly crystal clear on first fill, but I did have a bit of oily film on the top to skim off.

Why are you sifting it...During the first wash? I just put some in a 5 gallon bucket and rinsed it until all the crap washed off, this also gave me a chance to let the lighter particles flow off the top so they aren't floating in my tank/filter. Tank was nearly crystal clear on first fill, but I did have a bit of oily film on the top to skim off.

That's what the OP is looking for

I'll have geophagus in the tank so they need to be able to sift it.

Sorry I think I read that the first time,but didn't connect the dots with your statement. Why can't the fish sift through the Black Diamond?

Sorry I think I read that the first time,but didn't connect the dots with your statement. Why can't the fish sift through the Black Diamond?

It's got very sharp bits in it. I've had a few pieces pierce my skin while cleaning it before, a fish digging through it is out of the question.

It's got very sharp bits in it. I've had a few pieces pierce my skin while cleaning it before, a fish digging through it is out of the question.

Really?

I planted all my plants by hand in that tank and didn't so much as get a scratch. I have loaches that don't seem phased by it.

Certainly odd I never heard about this before..

Caleb

I must have been lucky. No sharp bits in mine, I would have no problem with fish sifting through it.

I must have been lucky. No sharp bits in mine, I would have no problem with fish sifting through it.
Ive tried 4 different bags bought at different times and they were all the same. But yes, while some people get the nice bags, others get the stuff like i got. I think it must be done differently between batches.

Ive tried 4 different bags bought at different times and they were all the same. But yes, while some people get the nice bags, others get the stuff like i got. I think it must be done differently between batches.

Isn't there also different sizes? I believe I have the fine grade size.

Caleb

There are different sizes. I have medium which is about the same grit of pool filter sand. Fine is apparently like dust from what I've read.

i have play sand from home depot with my cupid cichlids (which are related to geo's, i believe). doesn't take that long to rinse it.

Back
Top Bottom