What type of tetra is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikalicious209

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got 2 of them from my neighbor, but she had no clue what they are, and neither do I. I'm leaving towards serpea, but the pics online look almost nothing like it.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110708_164403.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110708_164403.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 251
Okie dokie. Looks like my angel is out of the question them. Would they mess with a rainbow shark or red tail cause I was gonna have one as a centerpiece

Okie dokie. Looks like my angel is out of the question them. Would they mess with a rainbow shark or red tail cause I was gonna have one as a centerpiece
no,not ,uch in a community tank has the ability to take on a 6" shark. do you have at least a 55 gallon? thats the sharks min tank size.

Right now I have a 33, but come the fall when I get my own place, I will have at least that, but leaning towards bigger!!! Then I'll be able to have my angels.

My rainbow shark doesn't do well with fish with flowing fins...He is generally peaceful but can get nippy with anyone that has too much finnage. I would be careful mixing the shark with angels, and I would definitely wait until you have the angels to get the shark. They are very terrirtorial so I highly recommend you add it as close to last as possible. This would be a win-win because you'd also avoid any possiblity of running into a situation where you have the shark in a tank much too small and for some reason cannot upgrade. :)

If you are worried about them being nippy and you are not over stocked, I suggest buying some more of them. Tetra are schooling fish and are generally calmer when in large groups.

Lol, im most certainty not overstocked. I only have 2 serpeas and 2 buenos aires. I only got them bc lfs squad they would school together, which I have not seen, and I didn't want the same fish. These are my first fish so I'm pretty excited

Ok. Yea. That seems to be consensus here that the more you have, the less they will nip at others. Ill just full out both schools. After that, anyone have stocking ideas?

Yes definitely get more serpaes. I had bought 2 and put them in my 29 gallon a long time ago, and the next day they attacked my poor Platy so bad and started nipping pieces of fins off. We took them out and put them in a pot until we could get another small tank. We ended up getting a 26 gallon and put them in there along with 3 more of them. Then we bought 5 silver tip tetras to go along with them. They dont hurt the silver tips. Just chase them, which silver tips act the same way. The serpaes mainly chase each other. Theyre pretty, but definitely nippers and agressive in my experience.

I had 2 gold serpae tetras and they killed 5 of my fish including my angelfish 0.0 these fish are from ****

Back
Top Bottom