What water do i use to do a water change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do the same thing as Tim, but with dechlorinator. You don't have to let the water sit to equalize the temp. Just use your hand as a guide and match it as closely as possible. Your other water and heater will sort it all out.

jsoong said:
<Incidentally, adding the neutral regulator will not bring your pH down to neutral if that is what you are hoping to do.

So if neutral regulator doesn't lower pH, what does it do? What would you use to get the pH down to 7.0 - 7.1?

Sent from my Epic 4G

I use tap and only tap. With dechlorinator, of course.

I also use a high tech thermometer to check the temperature as I put it in. It's called my hand. :cool:

I do the same thing as Tim, but with dechlorinator. You don't have to let the water sit to equalize the temp. Just use your hand as a guide and match it as closely as possible. Your other water and heater will sort it all out.

100 percent agree. This doesn't have to be an arduous task. If I wanted a pain in the rear water changing, I'd have went with saltwater.

i also have a problem with high ph..if you dont mind having the tannis colour you will get it with peat no mater what i acutaly use 100% rooibos or red tea the tetley "red tea" is 100% rooibos and works great and has no caffeen so it is safe for fish 1 bag or 1 tea spoon is good for 5gal of water i would put it in a nylon because the teabags degrade and the loose tea scatters all over the tank you would use it the same as you would peat moss but it has less posibly unsafe chemicals in it

Neutral regulator is designed to keep pH neutral in water with little mineral content. If there is a significant amount of buffers (minerals) in your water, it will not move the pH. Ditto for pH down also.

Why would you need to move the pH? If your tap is reasonable, I would just leave the pH alone. Even sensitive fish will adapt & do fine in water out of their pH range. It is pH stability that is important, and messing with the water with chemicals when it is not needed will just cause your pH to yo-yo.

jsoong said:
Neutral regulator is designed to keep pH neutral in water with little mineral content. If there is a significant amount of buffers (minerals) in your water, it will not move the pH. Ditto for pH down also.

Why would you need to move the pH? If your tap is reasonable, I would just leave the pH alone. Even sensitive fish will adapt & do fine in water out of their pH range. It is pH stability that is important, and messing with the water with chemicals when it is not needed will just cause your pH to yo-yo.

+1

jsoong said:

So I can just use tap water, put some prime in. And leave the ph at what it is? Will my black ghost knife be okay at that ph?

Sent from my iPhone

4 platties
1 ottocinicus
5 red serpae tetras
3 neon tetras
1 white cloud
1 honey gourami
1 ghost shrimp
1 Mex. dwarf crawfish
1 African dwarf frog

3 plecos
1 flounder