What will aid my cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swanandmokashi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have started cycling the new 55 Gallon with ammonia, I have a few plants in there right now . Also how can I speed up my cycling? I currently have the 15 gallon running with fish. That tank is using a HOB filter while the new tank has a XP3 canister. I have heard that I can squeeze the filter pad of the current tank in the new tank near the canister's inlet and that will speed up things??

ANything you can do to get some bacteria over will help.
What you mentioned will work, as well as scoop out some of the gravel (the more the better) from your established tank and put it in the new tank. If you don't want the gravel to stay there permanently, put it in some pantyhose and just let it sit in the tank. Squeeze it around each day during your cycle.

Get as much aeration as you can (air stones, low water level) and raise the temp into the mid-upper 80s.

Please make sure you ahve clean ammonia. No dyes/colors, perfumes/scents, and no surfactants.

neilanh said:
If you don't want the gravel to stay there permanently, put it in some pantyhose and just let it sit in the tank. Squeeze it around each day during your cycle.
Good idea!!

neilanh said:
Please make sure you ahve clean ammonia. No dyes/colors, perfumes/scents, and no surfactants.
Yep been doing fishless cycling on all my tanks for 3-4 years now :p

Have an old filter sponge/mesh? Give that a good squeeze or swish it around.

I used four old filter medias inside of my XP2, barely had a cycle.

plant that tank so think that you can not see and you will not even have a cycle ;)

if you want to see your fish on the other hand, i have always "cycle" a tank by running an old filter with the new filter on the tank, have yet to see a cycle since my first 10 gallon 4 years ago... i am now running 2 10s, 1 20L, 1 26, 1 45 and 1 75 of the bacteria cultured from that first tank :D

just thought of this : I have a spare Marineland Emperor 280 Filter -- I guess I will run that on the established tank for 1 week and then move it over to the new tank :)

Back
Top Bottom