What works with a betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PepperidgeFarms

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm wondering what my options would be for a
16 gallon community tank with a betta? In my dream world i'll also be aquascaping but I really know nothing about that yet so i'll have to wait a while on that part. I really don't know which schooling fish are fin nippers or anything so any combination ideas would be great. Thanks!

It's really up to the personality of your betta. If he's too aggressive he can stress out your other fish in the tank even though he might not be able to catch them and in return stress your betta out.

I have 12 neo tetras in a 20 gallon with my betta.. I originally had 19 but some smaller ones didn't thrive and my betta picked them off. My dream is to have a heavily planted 100 g with my betta and up to 20 tetras.

But if he's a really chill fish neon tetras are a great chice in my opinion.

Also aquascapeing is not as hard as you think.. just look into substrate options and a natural gravel if you want gravl. Then look into drift woods and low light plants. Betta bulbs from Petco are neat and cheap.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of 4 panda corydoras and maybe 6 harlequin rasboras... Is that way unreasonable for a tank of my size? I don't want to overstock it but I really like the idea of this sort of a set up and prefer the panda corys over the pygmy (However if that won't work then obviously I won't)
(assuming my betta is ok in a community tank)

A 16g is a perfect home for a betta just by its self in my opinion but I dont think
5-6 Corey's would bother him too much..

The problem with adding mid level swimmers with the betta mostly comes down to tank size and what kind of fish you keep with him.

You don't want your fish to ever be stressed out.

I'm not a fish exspert. I can only give you advice based on my 20g aquarium.

My betta seems stressed over the 12 peaceful tetras I'm keeping with him..

I want to get a 100 gal or at the least a 55..

My goal is to give my betta the option to not have to constantly be around other fish 24/7 I hope I've helpt in any way.

PS... Also bettas again are unique.. my girlfriend's betta is also in a 20g but there's two rescue fish in with him. 1 Cory and 1 gold fish. Betta don't care.

It really all depends on how you go about doing this. And depends on the betta. I'd pick out some fish you like, put them in the 16g and then float your betta for over night in a cup. Then add your betta. But it works either way as long as you have the right set up. I have tried some Bettas in my 75g with angels, Molly's, platy's, pleco, and Otto cats. And only 1 betta out of 3 I've tried holds her own. The other 2 I tried always got tail nipped by my angels. I have a 55g with female betta's and I put a young angel fish in with them. And everybody's good there too. So it's really up to you. Imo... if you have a female betta you can add a few more females, if done right. Younger females work better so they grow together. On a side note. I would get some ottos cats in that tank. Personally, I love them.

Good info, thank you everyone! I'm new at this & have a Betta in a 2 3/4 gal tank. I've been all over the place on what I want to do but think I've narrowed it down to a 20 Gal SeaClear acrylic tank. With a Fluval 106 canister filter (flows 145 gal per hour). Not trying to highjack your thread... Bill

I'm wondering what my options would be for a
16 gallon community tank with a betta? In my dream world i'll also be aquascaping but I really know nothing about that yet so i'll have to wait a while on that part. I really don't know which schooling fish are fin nippers or anything so any combination ideas would be great. Thanks!
Almost any small to medium sized fish can go with a betta. I have one in a large tank with5 adult angelfish, sclool of redeye tetras, and 6 cory catfish. I had a blue Gourami too but it died from hole in the head disease...treated the whole tank. When I 1st put him in, an angelfish came up to him to investigate him, but he flared his gills at the angel as if to say bring it it on sukka! But the angel backed off and they've all gotten along for months now. I did read a post that you shouldn't ues fancy guppies because the betta would attack them because their colorful tails make the appear as other male bettas.

Good info, thank you everyone! I'm new at this & have a Betta in a 2 3/4 gal tank. I've been all over the place on what I want to do but think I've narrowed it down to a 20 Gal SeaClear acrylic tank. With a Fluval 106 canister filter (flows 145 gal per hour). Not trying to highjack your thread... Bill
Your fine. Just be careful with the amount of flow. Betta's get war out trying to keep up with water flow.

Be sure to pick something peaceful! Platys could work, just be sure to get either all Male or All female. Some smaller tetras could also be a good choice.

Back
Top Bottom