what would you add? ...anything? (yes)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoenixphire55

Aquarium Advice Freak
So the goldfish tank will be vacated tomorrow, and then the tropical fish from the 20 gallon long will be moved to the 25 gallon tank. I've said before that the goldfish were in a 35 gallon tank but that was a typo (at least recently) cuz they were in a 35 gallon tank until I moved and broke it, so they've been living in a 25 gallon tank.
Anyway, what that means is that the following fish will now live in a 25 gallon standard tank (its pretty tall actually).
1 sailfin molly
5 female mollies + 2 babies
4 cories
1 male betta
1 big female guppy

I plan to use a sand substrate. What would you add? I might put some low light plants in. Give me some suggestions for compatible / cool fish. I definitely wouldn't mind a more "showcase" fish.

If you're adding plants, in the long run some sort of algae eater would do you well. Either a pleco (preferably a bristle nose) or some otocinclus.

I'm a huge fan of south & central american cichlids, so when it comes to a show case fish I'll suggest an Apistogramma of some sort, but those can be hard to come by. (Still looking myself :p )

I've always loved red tail sharks too, thought their not a "show case" fish by most people's standards. Their hella fun though. Mine nibbles on my hand whenver I'm messing around in the tank.

Angles are always an option too. Or you could add a trio of clow loaches...though they might crowd out your tank. Clown loaches have always been one of my faves for adding spunk to a tank.

Apistos are great and showy, but your betta may not like the new tank mates. Keep in mind with taller tanks, there really is less room for fish due to the smaller surface area (compared to a 20 long). Most fish enjoy horizontal space, not vertical. I would definitely not add clown loaches, as they grow quite large. Love all small speceis of plecos. If you have both male and female mollies, your tank will become full soon enough!

I'm considering getting a bristlenose pleco if I can find a gold one. My mollies eat all their babies so reproduction doesnt add much to the population. In about two years only two babies have survived. I think an angel might be what I go for. But what will the betta do to an angel... :-/

Back
Top Bottom