what would you do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rkilling1

Aquarium Advice Addict
a good friend of my wife has a ciclid tank and does not want it anymore. she said she would just give it to me, because she knows i would take care of them.

55 gal bow front tank and stand, heater, HOB filter (she doesn't know what brand), 3 adult sick lids (2 being a breading pair) and two small fry.

sounds great, except: i really don't have the room for this tank. the only room i have is in my kids playroom and i don't every go in there.

what would you do?

turn your basement into a great room...

thats really the only choice, unless you sold her fish, and told her they died, its not right, but neither is throwing the hobby on someone else's shoulders

you could ask her if it was alright to donate to a zoo or local aquarium club

or maybe just put some of the fish up for adoption, and put the remainder in your tank

i mean the heater, filter, and tank is just a bonus, i mean you get a stand too... thats like $200+ depending on the type and quality

EDIT: i'll be on vacation soon, so i might not get back to you before then

where in ohio do you live, i might possibly (and i mean very slightly possibly) be willing to 'adopt' your tank if it came down to it, im in toledo

If you have no room for the tank and no room for the fish, the question is moot. You can help her tremendously by helping her sell it to other AA members or local clubs in your area. I'm sure there is someone out there who will take the tank off her hands.

I agree with Jchillin--a local aquarium society would be ideal (they don't all meet during the summer; allow for extra time to contact members and wait for replies) or an AA member. If I were within a couple hundred miles, I would take it off her hands!

gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme =)

Sad I am in FLA

i was hoping for reassurance that i could do it. LOL. what was i thinking of course i can make room. its just going to take some effort. dang the MTS gets ya.

i already have plans, PFS and maybe an XP2. earlier today i was happy with everything i have and didn't see a need to spend anymore money on the fish. But, here we go again.

i was hoping for reassurance that i could do it.
Of course you can!! It just sounded as though you didn't want to! If I made room for 13 tanks ranging from 5-80 gals in a relatively small 3 bedroom apartment, you can make room for one more tank and who knows?? Maybe the kid's playroom will become your favorite hang out ;)

If you can make the room then go for it. A bow front tank with fish for nothing, doesn't come along everyday, it has never come along in my neck of the woods.

sounds great, except: i really don't have the room for this tank. the only room i have is in my kids playroom and i don't every go in there.

what would you do?

You left no room for arguing for keeping the tank. Considering using the kids room in my home is a definite no, no. Now that your true intent is clear, please try not to blame your MTS issues on us. :)

IMO there is always room for another fish tank. Some might say I suffer from MTS but I am not addicted! Look around your place and figure out where it would fit.

Just look around you at all that furniture just wasting space. What could be better than replacing that bulky, needless cabinet/table/sofa/whatever with a useful item such as a 55 gallon bowfront tank?

thanks for making my MTS that much worse. LOL

i got it home and it needed a very good cleaning. i removed the fish to a 5 gallon bucket with an airstone while i cleaned it. the filter is an old aqua clear, so i will be replacing it tomorrow with a pequin 350. i already have filters for my 170, so why not get one that uses the same filter media and that way i can just put my established media in it.

the tank had about 4 inches of river rock kinda looking substrate, so i removed it and replaced it with PFS (had some extra from switching my other tanks). the versa top is missing the back plastic and the center plastic is broke in two, something else to purchase.

tomorrow i will be heading to the fish place to pick up a new filter, heater holder (hopefully), plants, and a new light bulb. 30W light isn't the greatest, but hey, for free i guess it will work.

sorry for all the nonsense, i can't help it. i am so excited i got a 55 gal bowfront with stand for free.

so due to the new filter and substrate, i will have to cycle it with fish in it. it's a good thing there is only 5 fish in there, so the cycle shouldn't be to bad.

the wife rearrange the kids room to be more of a sitting room, if you will, and the tank is a nice addition already.

now i need to start researching what fish i have. i know they are chick lets, just don't know witch ones.

so now i have a 28 gallon bowfront (28, 29, 30, whatever the gal is), 75 gal, 55 gal bowfront, and a 5 gal QT. man this is crazy.
here is a quick pick:

wow, that tank is stunning.

If you put it in the playroom, I would actually take the opportunity to turn it into the kids tank and use it to help them learn responsibility and chemistry.

Let them pick out the fish, and use it to teach them. They will enjoy it too. =)

Why do I get the feeling that you were going to get this tank no matter what advice you were given? It does look great and is a nice addition.

With all the tanks you have, you can grab up plenty of established media to get the tank going right?

Just one more thing...it's "cichlids"...just a pet peeve, I'm sure you can understand. :) If you post some pics or descriptions of them, we can help ID them.

FishyPeanut said:
wow, that tank is stunning.

If you put it in the playroom, I would actually take the opportunity to turn it into the kids tank and use it to help them learn responsibility and chemistry.

Let them pick out the fish, and use it to teach them. They will enjoy it too. =)

yes because if learn even one thing from aa, it should be that, duping your children into aquarium work is acceptable, but only for those that suffer MTS

lol, peanut...

If you got it, Great score! If you haven't yet, what are you waitin for???
If you have true MTS you can't say NO!
IT"S FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

i got it in my house. LOL

yesterday i got a new pequin 350b, a heater holder, new lightbulb, and ordered a new versa top. so now it's all about brandnew.

i still have to put the backing on it.

Back
Top Bottom