What would you do if you saw...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ghettorigged

Aquarium Advice Regular
What would you do if you went into a business and saw fish being mistreated?

I went to pick up some Chinese food the other day from a place that I had heard was really good. As I came in I noticed a large fish tank with some cloudy, greenish water in it and three filthy over-the-back Whisper filters running. Being the person I am, I took a closer look at the tank, surely not ready to see any fish within that mini cesspool.

They had not one but THREE rather large koi jammed into what looked to be a 75 gallon tank! There was some kind of weird wormlike looking film (prolly rotting poop) clinging to the sides of the tank and three very mistreated fish hanging on by a thread. The largest was visibly unhappy as he was simply sitting on the bottom, gasping for air. Although I have nowhere to put them, I wanted so badly to rescue those poor fish! :cry:

I didn't know what to do. I thought of walking out but the food was prepaid over the phone and I wasn't the sole person eating it. I was torn. When I took the food from the lady I said "You really need to change the tank water or your fish will die." She looked at me kinda puzzled so I pointed to the tank and said "Those fish can't breathe in that water. You need to put fresh water in the tank." She then shook her head and said "Yes I know." I was not satisfied at all but in the presence of quite a few other customers and with no real authority to make her change the water, I left the store.

I could hardly eat my food. It was good but all I could think about was the tank at the store.

Has anyone else run into this?
Is there anything I can do/ should have done?
What would YOU do?

I've already come across a situation like this at a cafe near my g/f's work. The water was cloudy green, there was black hair algae all over the tank. The orandas at about 4" each were CRAMMED into the 5g eclipse. I told them if the tank looked like that the next time I came in there I'd be taking it with me when I left. I also mentioned I would tell all my friends not to go there either. The next time I went in there the oranda's were gone and were replaced with about 4 neons.

Tough call ghettorigged, but I probably would have done the same thing; stated how I felt right then and there. You could always go back and see if they actually have done anything.

Another thought is to contact the ASPCA (been a while since I've been upstate; forget if Sullivan, Ulster, Delaware or Greene counties have one - I'm in Westchester atm *grin*) or maybe a local humane society and talk to them about what can be done. They may have some suggestions, or if your really lucky, get involved (they should!).

You are lucky if you can get an spca office to do anything about fish. Good luck with your endeavors. Unfortunately, about the only thing you can do is hit them where it hurts and tell them something along the lines of "if this is the way you keep a publicly viewed tank, I am afraid to ask what your kitchens look like!". Then tell them you are calling the health department on their tails.

Hmmm, I would tell them I would come back and teach them how to care for the fish tank when my shedule permitted. I would explain how a nice healthy fish tank is a nice way to please the customers but what they have there is very unappetizing and puts nothing but negative thoughts in there customers heads. I would explain that proper husbandry just takes some time to learn. If you put it in that type of light they will either clean up the tank (with your help), or they will tear it down.

Depends on the ASPCA office, although I read of someone who was in a lfs which had absolutely horrific tanks. She contacted her local humane society and they did get involved.

Depends on the ASPCA office

To my knowledge there are no States that have any laws protecting ornamental fish, there are no federal laws protecting ornamental fish in our aquariums, the best anyone could do would be a campaign of picketing and harrassment.

I actually caught myself just taking care of business on a fish restaraunt's SW tank when I went to pick up my food one day. It was a sad thing... They had lost the siphon in the overflow, and there were dead fish in the OF, on the bottom and in the sump. I commenced to getting the siphon back and found the pump was running no telling how long without water in the sump. They had a tap water on filter and I had them get me pitchers of water until it was full, and then did a quick lesson on upkeep. Sad thing is, I found out the tank was serviced by the LFS I simply dispise...They hadn't shown up for service in over 3 weeks. I stood there paying for my food while the owner was on the phone with them chewing their heads off of their neck. :twisted: I tell you, some LFS, should not be licensed to sell anything pertaining to fish...

Alrighty, found that post about the icky lfs and what one person did to help rectify the situation:

"Let me say thank-you for your genuine concern makes me happy to see the human condition of compassion still exists. I have been in contact with my local Animal resuce and shelter (they are going to do some legal legwork on this), the better business burea (dead animals in tanks floating around isn't better business? Well see) and the local government about having such animals ('Gators), although there dosen't seem to be a law against having such a pet here they are looking closer at sales. My eloquent girlfriend has typed a snail mail letter and sent it to P.E.T.A. in hopes they may offer some solution and offer a hand. Once again thank-you and I will re-post when I hear something interesting (soon, maybe). " (from WetWebMedia.com's forums).

I would never eat there again! Yuck!

I would explain how a nice healthy fish tank is a nice way to please the customers but what they have there is very unappetizing and puts nothing but negative thoughts in there customers heads.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Hmm wonder if you could call the health department on them, being that the way it sounds, the fish were sitting in a sewage. Just a suggestion. I know I wouldn't eat there.

Hey there.

I am absolutely horrified. Fish are animals too :(

I live in Orange County. [When Im not in school] Try contacying PetsAlive. Their website is Petsalive.com.

P.E.T.A will SURELY have something to say about it. But YOU could also do something. And not just by contacting a local organization about this place and their cruelty to animals.

I would go in there armed with everything I need to have and juststart cleaning their tank. They might appreciate you doing so, and they might pay you to come in and regularly maintainence the tank. Not only by doing that, you are making the tank beautiful for customers to look at, and helping the fish out. Maybe you can even get them to give the fish away to someone who has a koi pond. And if they really want fish, maybe some other kind of goldfish, or tropicals.

Well, at least that is what I would do.

I HATE when people are cruel to animals.

OK, after reading the replies I called the Ulster County SPCA. The person who runs the cruelty division was called to active military duty and no one has replaced them. The SPCA told me to call the Sheriff's office so I did. The Deputy Sheriff basically just thought I was wasting their time but swore they would send an officer over to investigate the situation.

I am going to try the PetsAlive place.

Thanks for all the input! 8)

Howdy neighbors *grin* I grew up in Orange County. Still can't believe a nationwide TV show is based there (That Orange County Choppers show on Discovery).

PetsAlive *shiver* not one of my favorite places (my best friend used to volunteer there). However, the woman who runs it is militant about animals; I have a feeling she will definitely have something to say about the situation, and she sure isn't shy about telling it to anyone and everyone.

Man, though I haven't seen such horrid tanks.. except sadly enough in a LFS was a chinese buffet here in gainesville, where they has an ornamental water fall with about a 1-2 inch deep mini pool. Anyway I didn't think anything was in there till I looked in and saw about 4 gold fish basically walking everywhere... they literally couldn't pass eachother... I gave a cold a** stare to the people and the fat guy behind the counter had this blank look to his face, all I could do was just sway my head because they pretend not to understand you half the time anyway, not dealing with confrontation I guess... its been a long while since I been back there, but I am sure its still the same except now I bet the goldfish are walking on their fins to keep their heads in the water!

Back
Top Bottom