what would you do? Illegal shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jtez, you make some good points.

I have no idea how soon the law will be ammended- it's difficult to get real information rather than rumours.

My suspicion is that it will be "in the pipeline" for a good many years yet, maybe indefinitely. There are so many other priorities that are far more important.

I don't think I'm going to buy any at this time, but I'm going to try to find out more about the situation. Don't even know if I have the knowledge to keep them properly so there that too.

At least you can have some shrimp in Western Australia all freshwater shrimp are now illegal to own my LFS had all there stock destroyed

If its illegal don't do it.
That simple.

Disagree.

If its illegal dont do it.. So i shouldnt of imported life saving medication from the US because its illegal here in the UK. Do what you think is right, it's that simple.

And i know what your thinking 'in your circumstances it was the right thing to do?'

But it follows on to anything considered illegal. Just because its considered illegal doesn't make it wrong, make your own choices as its the only real freedom we have in this world.

Last edited:
In the state of Oklahoma it is illegal to shoot a whale from a moving vehicle. Some laws just don't make sense.

I think you will just have to wait and see how it is written before you do anything drastic. For now I would buy what ever shrimp you want.

For those of you who don't know your geography, Oklahoma is a land locked state in the USA. There is one whale in the entire state...The Blue Whale - Home

Rmiller, there is something poetic about that law :) a whale !

We've had some ridiculous laws over here, and not that long ago either. As in, highly immoral laws that no one should obey. But that's politics, so I'll leave that alone :)

And illegal shrimp isn't really comparable to all that stuff anyway! :)

Some laws just need to be repealed. I could go on and on about stupid laws, but I won't.

As for the shrimp issue, it really does depend on how it's worded when and if it's passed.

And what happens when someone is caught with these illegal to own shrimp? Will it pass by quietly or will the politicians go up in arms and crack down even harder on the aquarium industry? You have to think of all the consequences to our actions.

As RESPONSIBLE aquarists its our duty to follow the law and fight to have it repealed rather than ignore the law and complain that it needs to be repealed because its dumb. Start a petition if it bothers you that much.

And what happens when someone is caught with these illegal to own shrimp? Will it pass by quietly or will the politicians go up in arms and crack down even harder on the aquarium industry? You have to think of all the consequences to our actions.

As RESPONSIBLE aquarists its our duty to follow the law and fight to have it repealed rather than ignore the law and complain that it needs to be repealed because its dumb. Start a petition if it bothers you that much.

The principal here is correct. Work for change rather than side stepping what doesn't suit you.

I know people have been petitioning to have the law updated for quite some time now with no effect. Basically we have much bigger problems that deserve to be addressed. Thousands of people living without access to clean water, for one thing.

I don't think I'll break this particular law- but I don't know if it's worth trying to change it either.

I just saw an advert for shrimp on the homepage of a high profile speciality fish shop here. It's just so strange.

Like I said, it will all depend on how the law is worded. Will it state they are illegal to purchase, own, or breed? If it says own or breed then obviously not having them is the only real option. If it is illegal to purchase them, but you may keep the ones that you already own. You should still be able to trade them with other hobbyists as long as no profit is involved.

Until the law is passed and you are able to read it as it is written there is no way to know. Laws are written with loopholes for a reason. Know the loopholes so you can jump thru them. (Apparently I spend too much time with lawyers)

I need to check again, but I believe the current law is against selling, not against owning.

The change we are hoping for is that the updated blacklist which no longer lists most aquarium shrimp, will be reflected in the law. At the moment the law references an outdated blacklist.

Are you sure it is illegal to sell cherry shrimp in maryland. I bought some a few months ago in md the big fish store in glen burnie. Also bought them online and had some shipped

We have a strange situation here in SA. It is illegal to sell live freshwater shrimp. Apparently the black list has been updated more than a year ago to exclude many of the shrimp species kept in aquariums, but that new blacklist has not been made into law yet, so it's still illegal. I see shrimp for sale sometimes, but I don't like supporting those who break the law. What would you do?

Just forget about it

It's not like they are selling crack on the street corner

Unless the shrimp are on a cities list or can hurt your local area then just leave them be it's up to them they take the risks they do the time

Can you show documents to show what type of shrimps are band ?

Disagree.

If its illegal dont do it.. So i shouldnt of imported life saving medication from the US because its illegal here in the UK. Do what you think is right, it's that simple.

And i know what your thinking 'in your circumstances it was the right thing to do?'

But it follows on to anything considered illegal. Just because its considered illegal doesn't make it wrong, make your own choices as its the only real freedom we have in this world.

I see what you're saying, and I failed to overlook that kind of possibility.
But if it's something as simple as buying shrimp for your aquarium, then don't do it.
But if someone's life is threatened especially someone you love and the medication that you need is illegal then you do what you think is right.

Are you sure it is illegal to sell cherry shrimp in maryland. I bought some a few months ago in md the big fish store in glen burnie. Also bought them online and had some shipped

So I was told a few years ago by a friend who owns an LFS, never really looked into it further.

No one likes a snitch

But I can see anyone going to jail for selling shrimp it wouldn't even go to court

Police keep fish to if it's that bigger deal left the cops spot it when they are in the store

Back
Top Bottom