What would you do. Water - Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

briandoran

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi folks another question:

I did a partial water change on Thursday (2 days ago) ....

My current water levels are as follows:

Ammonia - 0.25
Nitrite - 0.25
Nitrate - 10-20

Are these levels ok? Should I do another water change or is it ok.

Unfortunately I found one of my guppies dead today. Can't see what the reason would be for the death. :(

are you in the middle of a cycle right now? because with those results i would say you are almost done cycling .... and your nitrates look a tad high to me i guess depending on how many fish you have ... but i would do another water change IMHO .... but hopefully someone with a little more experience will chime in and let ya know

Ray

Not knowing the bio-load, it looks like your tank is semi cycled or just had a burst of ammonia from a dead fish. I'd check again tomorrow and do another water change then. The nitrate level is around where planted tanks like to be so it's nothing to worry about yet, just keep an eye on it. Most likely by tomorrow the nitrates will be higher and hopefully the ammonia/nitrite will be lower.

reason for guppies death was likely due to ammonia burning its gills.

Your tank is not cycled. do NOT add any more fish.

Please give us some more details: new tank or existing tank? sounds like its new
fishless cycle completed already, or are you trying to cycle with fish right now? sounds like the latter.

You'll likely need to do daily 50% water changes until you complete your fishy cycle. don't be surprised if more fish die, as ammonia burns are permanent damage to the fish gills, leaving them unable to breathe as efficiently as they normally can.

Back
Top Bottom